List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

List entry Number: 1384484

Location

CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, LORNE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484918

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGAN

SD50NE LORNE STREET 24-1/2/31 Church of St Catherine 11/07/83

II

Church. 1840, by Edmund Sharpe of Lancaster. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roof. Gothick Early English. PLAN: nave and aisles in one vessel, with south vestry, short chancel, west steeple linked to nave by short narthex with stair-turrets in angles. EXTERIOR: square 2-stage tower with gabled sides, angle-buttresses and corner pinnacles, mediated to a tall octagonal belfry also with gabled sides, carrying a tall octagonal spire with lucarnes on 2 levels: the tower has a 2-centred arched west doorway with deep moulded surround and hood-mould, and stepped triple-lancet windows in each side of the upper stage with metal clock-faces in the gables over them; the belfry has slender angle buttresses, a narrow lancet in each side with a blind multifoil in the gable above, and finials to the gables of the cardinal sides. The stair-turrets have angle-buttresses carried up to pinnacles, and a lancet in each side. The 6-bay aisles, with small buttresses and parapets with ridged coping, have a pair of lancets in each bay; the south aisle has a low vestry to the 6th bay with arched doorway and windows, and hipped roof. The chancel has a stepped triple-lancet east window. All windows have hood-moulds with small foliated stops. INTERIOR: single vessel with short sanctuary; trefoil-panelled galleries on 3 sides carried on cast-iron columns, organ on west gallery; box pews (removed from west end which is now partitioned off by glazed screen); queen-strut roof with wrought-iron straps; octagonal pulpit on unusually high slender pedestal; panelled Gothic-style war memorial at west end dated 1922. Forms group with boundary wall of churchyard (qv), and with St Catherine's vicarage to south (qv).



Listing NGR: SD5922405689

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 59224 05689

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 06:33:18.