List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE

List entry Number: 1384458

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484892

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGAN

SD50SW CHURCH STREET, Lamberhead Green 24-1/4/130 (East side) Church of St John the Divine

II

Church. 1830-32, by Rickman and Hutchinson (dated 1832 at west end). Red brick in English garden wall bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Gothick style. PLAN: 9-bay nave with galleried north and south aisles under carried-down roofs (except to the westernmost bay), short sanctuary. EXTERIOR: the gabled west facade, which is symmetrical, has clasping corner pilasters, with a small blind lancet in each, terminating as stone turrets which have louvred lancets and embattled parapets; a shallow gabled porch in the centre with buttresses, a 2-centred arched double-chamfered doorway and a steeply-pitched gable (with shield dated 1832) rising into the centre light of the west window, which is a stepped triple-lancet with hood-moulds; a small louvred lancet above, and a stone parapet. The aisles, of 8 narrow bays with simple buttresses which have one offset and a gablet, have one tall lancet in each bay, with sillband and hood-mould, and parapets carried round from the front, and a shallow porch in the westernmost bay, that on the south side with a 2-centred arched moulded stone doorway and that on the north side simpler. The sanctuary, of one short bay, has a stepped triple lancet east window (and C20 additions at ground floor level). INTERIOR: vestibule with symmetrical winding stone staircases to the gallery; 3-sided gallery of 6 x 3 bays with a square-panelled wooden front, supported, by slender cast-iron columns with annular caps and linked by wide segmental arches with open spandrels; moulded plaster wall corbels to a flat ceiling with moulded ribs; original pitch-pine pews with brass umbrella. Forms group with boundary wall to churchyard (qv).





Listing NGR: SD5483904696

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 54839 04696

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 06:12:34.