List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

List entry Number: 1384453

Location

CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, BILLINGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484887

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGAN

SD50SE BILLINGE ROAD, Highfield 24-1/5/128 Church of St Matthew 11/07/83

II*

Church. 1892-94. By Paley, Austin and Paley, for Col Henry Blundell, owner of Pemberton Colliery; enlarged and altered 1910 by Austin and Paley. MATERIALS: snecked pink sandstone, red tiled roof. STYLE: Early English. PLAN: 5-bay nave (extended one bay to the west), with 2-bay north aisle, 5-bay south aisle (extended 3 bays to the west), north and south transepts and crossing tower with spire, one-bay chancel. EXTERIOR: the nave has clasping pilasters, 2 very tall lancet west windows with a multifoil above, on the north side 2 tall lancets flanking a gabled north porch and 2 shorter lancets above the aisle, which is pilastered and has similar lancets and a parapet; the south aisle, of 4 unequal bays, has similar lancets, paired in the 2 west bays. Both transepts have clasping pilasters, the north transept has 3 cusped lancets and the south transept has one lancet and a quatrefoil above. The crossing tower, of 2 unequal stages, with clasping corner pilasters and a north-east stair-turret, has pilaster strips carried up to the belfry stage, which is distinguished by a string course and has arcading with 2 louvred belfry windows in each side, a parapet stepped up at the corners, and a tall recessed octagonal spire with lucarnes in the cardinal sides. All windows mentioned above have reveals with 2 orders of chamfer, and hood-moulds. The chancel has 3 lancets in each side and stepped triple-lancet east windows, all these with 3 orders of chamfer and those in the sides with linked hood-moulds. INTERIOR: 2-bay north aisle, 5 bay south aisle (3 bays added 1910), with arcades of double-chamfered arches on cylindrical columns and responds with moulded caps; crossing arches larger and more elaborately moulded, with pulpit linked to north-east pier; roof of queen-strut trusses alternating with arch-braced king post trusses; Lady chapel in north transept, organ in south transept; richly-shafted windows on north side of chancel, sedilia on south side.



Listing NGR: SD5552303830

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 55523 03830

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 07:22:22.