List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GREGORY (VALE OF LUNE CHAPEL)

List entry Number: 1384060

Location

CHURCH OF ST GREGORY (VALE OF LUNE CHAPEL), A 684

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthoritySedbergh

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Oct-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484492

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEDBERGH

SD69SW A684, Marthwaite 162-1/5/371 (South side) 15/03/83 Church of St Gregory (Vale of Lune Chapel) (Formerly Listed as: WEATHERCOCK, Marthwaite Church of St Gregory (Vale of Lune Chapel))

II

Chapel to Ingmire Hall Estate; now maintained by Redundant Churches Fund. Built 1850 as a Mission Chapel; altered and enlarged in 1907. Mixed random rubble with red sandstone quoins, graduated slate roof with wooden and glazed lantern; re-built gabled front and added porch of snecked rubble with yellow sandstone dressings and quoins. PLAN: small nave on north-south axis with north porch, south chancel built as crosswing (i.e as one vessel with short transepts). EXTERIOR: the porch, dated 1907, has a small rectangular window to the front, a lettered memorial plaque above this (commemorating Florence Ann Upton Cottrell Dormer, d.1907), a coped gable parapet with kneelers, and a doorway in its west side with a gablet containing the Ingmire Hall cross. The main gable has an ashlar bellcote clasped by coped gable parapets with kneelers. The west side wall has 3 rectangular 1-light windows with raised plain surrounds, and the gable of the wing at the south end has a gabled extension to the centre, a similar window either side and another above. The roof has a long low lantern (its eaves at the level of the ridge), with 5 segmental-headed lights and oversailing bracketed eaves to a swept hipped roof. (East side, abutting adjoining cottage, has no windows.) INTERIOR: panelled dado, chancel pews with carved ends and windows with wooden architraves and elaborate stained glass, mostly showing some Art Nouveau influence.



Listing NGR: SD6342592194

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 63425 92194

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 09:35:13.