List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1383978

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityDent

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484410

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DENT

SD7087 MAIN STREET, Dent Town 162-1/24/184 (North side) 16/03/54 Church of St Andrew

GV I

Parish church. Probably C12, enlarged and remodelled in early C16, with some fabric believed to be Norman; tower said to have been added in later C18; much renewed in 1889. Mixed random rubble with quoins; stone slate roof to nave, copper roofs to aisles. Mostly simple Perpendicular style. PLAN: nave and chancel in one, with full-length north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. EXTERIOR: the square unbuttressed tower, with an embattled parapet, has a square-headed doorway in the south side, a small window in the west side and small 2-light belfry windows with cusped lights and stone louvres. A lean-to in its north angle (continued form the north aisle) has a round-headed doorway with a stone slate drip-band over it. The nave has 4 clerestory windows of 2 round-headed lights and the chancel continues with two 3-light clerestory windows which have cusped lights, all these windows with hoodmoulds. The south aisle has a gabled porch at the west end with a round-headed doorway moulded in 2 orders and a C19 2-centred arched inner doorway; and 5 tall square-headed mullioned windows of various sizes (a buttress between the 3rd and 4th windows), all with round-headed lights: a 2-light window next to the porch, with Perpendicular tracery in the head, a tall 3-light window and a shorter 3-light window, all variously restored, then 2 original C16 3-light windows. All these windows have hoodmoulds with dropped ends and the second one has mask stops. Below the 4th window is a small round-headed priest door. The north aisle has a blocked round-headed doorway to the 1st bay, with a chamfered surround, a square 2-light mullioned window above and to the left, and then four tall 3-light windows with hoodmoulds, like those of the south aisle. The east end has a large segmental-headed 5-light east window with a transom flanked by 3-light windows, all these windows restored. INTERIOR: 3+3 bay nave and chancel arcades of 2-centred double-chamfered arches, the former (probably early C13) with 2 cylindrical columns between octagonal terminal piers which appear to have been designed for different arcading (and those at the west end partly enclosed by the masonry of the tower, which has no opening), and the latter (probably C16) with octagonal columns. The 2 eastern bays have balustraded screens to the choir (probably C19); the choir and chancel are paved on 2 levels with polished Dent marble in black and white chequer pattern. Octagonal oak pedestal pulpit with lozenges in the side panels, bracketed desk with carved frieze including raised lettering "M T 1614", and a sounding-board. The south aisle contains 5 original C17 box pews with carved decoration, some with initials and dates, and early C18 benches with fielded panel backs and initials worked in metal studs; and the north aisle has early C18 enclosed side-benches in 2 tiers, with a late C17 box pew at each end. Wall monuments: in the south aisle, 2 early C18 pedimented sandstone aedicules with fluted pilasters and dentilled entablatures (now laminating and the tablets illegible), a marble wall tablet commemorating Adam Sedgwick (1785-1873, Woodwardian Professor of Geology, Cambridge University) and another commemorating his son (vicar of Dent); in the north aisle, a pair of marble wall tablets to members of the Sill family of West House (now known as Whernside Manor, qv), including John Sill "of Providence in the Island of Jamaica", d.1774, and another to Emma, widow of General Brownrigg (d.1815 at Broadfield House, qv).





Listing NGR: SD7051887040

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 70525 87040

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:30:36.