List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE LODGE

List entry Number: 1383781

Location

THE LODGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityRichard's Castle (Shropshire)

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484213

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RICHARDS CASTLE

SO57SW OVERTON 482-1/9/171 The Lodge 12/11/54

GV II*

Country house. Probably 1783 with earlier core. By Thomas Symonds of Hereford. Painted stone ashlar with parapeted part-hipped slate roof and part-rendered brick ridge and end stacks. Late Classical style with channelled rusticated plinth, corner pilasters, storey bands and cornice. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and basement. Entrance front is a 5-window range disposed 1:3:1, the centre slightly advanced with 4/4:6/6:4/4 sashes over a Roman Doric porch with 4 columns supporting an entablature, with triglyph and paterae frieze and balustrade. The centre first-floor window has console brackets and swagged frieze. Over this section the parapet is swept up and there is a flat-topped frontispiece with 2/2:3/3:2/2 sashes and 4 balls above. To either side of the central section are 6/6 sashes with moulded architraves, the ground floor with husk swags. A flight of steps leads up to the porch which has glazed double doors and 2/4 sashes within, and balustrades under the sashes and to sides. Windows in basement and ornamental semicircular openings under porch. Returned fronts are 3- and 4-window ranges of 6/6 sashes and a similar canted bay each with 6/6 sashes, plinth, balustrades below the windows, and balustraded parapet. 2-light dormers behind main roof parapet. Behind the left front is a single-storey service range linking to the stables (qv) and behind the right front a projecting range with simple canted bay and two 6/6 sashes over, with further single-storey wing behind. INTERIOR: fine cantilevered stone staircase with lyre-patterned cast-iron balusters, and chimneypieces with scrolled consoles on fluted Ionic columns.





Listing NGR: SO5001172178

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 50011 72178

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 04:23:30.