List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1383760

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWheathill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484192

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHEATHILL

SO67NW SILVINGTON 482-1/7/202 Church of St Michael 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 and C14 with C17 additions and alterations, C19 restoration. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roofs. PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, and west tower asymmetrically set against nave. Nave in 2 widths, having been extended into part of chancel. EXTERIOR: chancel with restored paired cusped lancets on east and south sides. Nave north door blocked leaving C12 round arch exposed. 2 restored paired cusped lancets on both north and south sides of nave. South doorway has plain tympanum under bold roll-moulding set in recessed semicircular panel over tympanum, with scalloped capitals with cable-moulding, column shafts set in recess on C12 base to west and modified later base to east. Door is studded, boarded and cross-boarded with iron strap hinges, bearing date 1679. South porch: tiled gabled porch with round-arched entrance in stone walls dated 1662. Plain late C12 tower with Transitional west lancet and restored battlements. INTERIOR: plastered ceilings and walls. Restored pointed chancel arch. C17 carved timber panelling around altar. Late C12 pointed single-stepped tower arch set on hollow chamfered abaci and debased flat-leafed capitals, below which a diagonal inset cuts across the stepping of the responds. C12 plain circular font. Armorial tablet to Edward Mytton d.1683. Inscription over south porch entrance: "This porch was built by John Hil, Gent and Ursula his widow 1662". (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 289).



Listing NGR: SO6210779852

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 289

National Grid Reference: SO 62107 79852

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 12:07:23.