List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1383755

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWheathill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484187

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHEATHILL

SO68SW Church of Holy Trinity 482-1/4/211 12/11/54

II*

Church. C12 and C14, C17 alterations, restored C19. Coursed and uncoursed rubble walls with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roofs with ashlar coped gable to west. PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch and integral bellcote. EXTERIOR: chancel with arched east window in Decorated style with 3 cusped lancets and foiled tracery. C12 round-headed lancet on north wall. Blocked south doorway with ogee arch. C14 arched window of 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil on south wall. Nave with 2 restored arched Decorated-style windows with twin cusped lancets and quatrefoil to north side, and one similar window to south side. C12 south doorway with plain tympanum with diaper hatching set in arched opening with bold roll-moulding set in recess in arch, diapered abaci on crude scroll-moulded capitals with plain shafts. South porch of C19 with buttressed ashlar-coped gable with arched entrance opening. West wall rebuilt in C19 with lancet surmounted by clerestory quatrefoil set in tall arched recess flanked by buttresses with ashlar-coped offsets. Rebuilt wall has angle buttresses at the corners and is surmounted by ashlar bellcote with 2 arched bell-openings set under an ashlar-coped gabled canopy. INTERIOR: single-bay single-purlin chancel roof with straight wind brace. Single truss with cambered tie beam, and twin raking struts. C12 chancel arch has bold roll-moulding in arch recess set on abaci with diaper pattern on the soffit chamfer, crude scroll-moulded capitals on plain shafts. C17 communion rails. Nave: C17 3-bay chamfered double trenched-purlin roof with 2 trusses; straight tie beam, 4 vertical struts with outer pair with rail over, central pair framing curved arched braces set on simple brackets with pendant at head of arch, twin raking struts over collar. Diagonally-set ridge with scalloped wind braces. Chancel memorials: small stone tablet with winged head to the Rector Henry Holland d.1684. Memorial tablet to Rev Taylor and family d.1760. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 47).





Listing NGR: SO6219582152

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 47

National Grid Reference: SO 62195 82152

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2014 at 05:06:28.