List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD CHURCH

List entry Number: 1383734

Location

THE OLD CHURCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityHopton Cangeford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Feb-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOPTON CANGEFORD

SO58SW The Old Church 482-1/2/149 12/11/54 (Formerly Listed as: Parish Church)

II*

Church, now pottery studios and house. 1766 with C19 apse addition. Red brick with ashlar window surrounds and string courses to tower stages. Plain-tile roofs with ornamental ridge tiles, hipped chancel roofs and pyramid tower roof. Former elements of chancel with polygonal apse, nave and west tower are still intact. EXTERIOR: chancel with opposing round-headed windows, and adjoining 5-sided apse with 2 similar windows in canted faces. Nave: 3 opposing round-headed windows, the central window infilled with brick. West door of tower with round-headed ashlar surround. Segmental arched niches on north and south sides. Round-headed window at first tower stage interrupting string course. Roundels with ashlar surrounds to 3 sides of tower top stage and ashlar cornice to roof. All windows with plain ashlar architraves with raised springing block, raised pendant keyblock, and sill. Square leaded lights with radial glazing bars in window-heads except for 2 with later leaded lights in apse. INTERIOR: plain panelled west gallery. Flat ceiling with simple cornice. Mid C18 pulpit with plain panels. 2 original box pews on south side below pulpit, one large squire's box pew on north side with a fireplace. Late C18 memorial tablet with urn, commemorating Hale family. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 153).





Listing NGR: SO5485080393

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 153

National Grid Reference: SO 54850 80393

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 04:04:21.