List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HEATH CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1383722

Location

HEATH CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityHeath

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484154

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEATH

SO58NE Heath Chapel 482-1/1/137 12/11/54

I

Church. C12, late C17 alterations, c1870 repairs, restored 1912. Grey stone rubble with golden sandstone dressings. Plain-tile roofs. Chancel and nave only. EXTERIOR: chancel and nave with flat shallow buttresses at all corners and at mid-point of each wall. Continuous string course with chamfered top runs around the building, interrupted only by the south doorway and north window. One small slit window in each wall sitting on string course, the east and west windows piercing their respective buttresses, all with round heads and deep internal splays, except that to chancel south wall which has a flat lintel. The west gable end has 2 small windows within the gable apex and a flat-headed bell-opening slit between. All windows lattice- or square-leaded. Additional north oak chamfered mullioned window of nave is c1700. South doorway: C12 round headed doorway of 2 orders. Chevron carved design on hoodmould and outer order of arch, and roll moulding on inner. Plain tympanum. Plain abaci with chamfered undersides. Crude flat scroll capitals now mostly eroded. C19 restored grey stone shafts and bases. Door is cross-boarded and has medieval iron hinges. INTERIOR: chancel with medieval 2-bay roof of 3 trusses. Single chamfered tenoned purlin roof with no ridge piece, straight wind braces below purlin (one missing), rafters halved-over at apex, ashlaring at wall plate. 2 trusses to east have diminished principals with open ended mortice at the cut-back of the principal. Cambered chamfered tie beam with stepped stop-chamfer, and twin raking struts. C17 turned communion rails surround the alter. Reset medieval grave slab with raised cross. Reused medieval rood screen forms framing for benches and box pews against north wall. Double rebated round-headed chancel arch with 2 orders of shafts facing nave. Capitals on north side are a simple cushion and scallop with incised volutes. South capitals in form of a cushion with chevron under-mouldings, and cushion with pointed convex under-moulding. Simple under-chamfered hoodmould surrounds arch recesses. Plain under-chamfered abaci which continues as string course round complete interior of chapel. Nave: medieval 3-bay roof of 4 trusses, probably remodelled C17. Single trenched purlin roof with trench purlin addition to north pitch only. C19 restored rafters, ridge and wall plate. Trusses with steep but unevenly cambered tie beams, twin raking struts, diminishing principals, wall post with chamfered projection and base stop, and small swept chamfered wall brace. Wall paintings partly visible on nave walls: on south wall is medieval depiction of St George; on north wall is a depiction of a lion. Late C16 religious texts appear below string course on north and south walls of both nave and chancel. Cylindrical tub font of C12. 5 C17 box pews and 2-decker pulpit. Heath Chapel is nationally very remarkable as it has remained substantially unaltered in use, status, size and style. (An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire: Cranage D H S: 1895-: 96; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 147; Klein P: A Guide to The Heath Chapel Shropshire: Leominster: 1990-).



Listing NGR: SO5573185622

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cranage, DHS - Title: An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Page References: 96
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Klein, P - Title: A Guide to the Heath Chapel, Shropshire - Date: 1990
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 147

National Grid Reference: SO 55730 85621

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 08:35:58.