List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MIDDLETON CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1383685

Location

MIDDLETON CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBitterley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484117

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BITTERLEY

SO57NW MIDDLETON 482-1/5/98 Middleton Chapel 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12, restored 1857. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roof. PLAN: chancel, nave with north porch and integral bellcote. EXTERIOR: C19 chancel east window of 3 Norman-style lancets with roundel over. Blocked door with plain flat-headed tympanum over. Flat-headed C12 lancet to south. North wall with single C12 Norman lancet. Nave: north wall has C12 Norman lancet, and C19 restored Norman-style lancet and doorway and 2 ashlar buttresses. South wall has single C12 Norman lancet and 3 C19 Norman-style lancets interspersed with 3 C19 ashlar buttresses. West end rebuilt mid C19 incorporating arched west window in Norman style, the window set in projecting buttress rising to form bellcote with ashlar-roofed canopy with single bell-opening. North porch: C19 gabled porch with sandstone-slate roof, set on timber-frame and ashlar plinth. INTERIOR: chancel with single-bay single-purlin restored roof of reset rafters and ashlaring. Stained glass in east window by Kempe. Restored chancel arch on scalloped capital and half-round shaft. Chancel screen with 8 openings with vaulting supporting gallery over, restored but retaining mostly original material. Unpierced end bays, open central pair, and mid rail with tracery under side bays. Arched entrance inset with carving and initials N N on one spandrel. Open pendant tracery in Decorated-style pointed arches. Vaulting over arcade with bressumer with 3 bands of foliage carving. Plain vertical-panelled gallery with restored foiled tracery in central panels. Probably original, with a rood loft that was not restored with the rest of the screen. Screen was dated 1582 prior to restoration. Nave: 4-bay restored roof with 3 arch-braced hammerbeam trusses and single trenched purlin roof. Each truss of principals, collar, hammerbeams with carved ends, strut and restored arch-braces, wall-posts and brackets. C16 plain octagonal font.





Listing NGR: SO5400777333

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 54007 77333

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 01:59:21.