List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CROWLEASOWES

List entry Number: 1383684

Location

CROWLEASOWES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBitterley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484116

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BITTERLEY

SO57NW MIDDLETON 482-1/5/90 Crowleasowes 12/11/54

II*

Farmhouse. Early C17 on earlier core, C19 extension wing. Brick; stone rubble to C19 wing. Plain-tiled roof with brick-coped gables. Large brick stepped eaves stack with 5 rows of cogged brick ornament and twin diagonally-set shafts and oversailing capping. Integral C19 ornamental brick eaves stack to rear and gable-end stack to front of C19 wing. PLAN: original L-shape plan of parallel gabled wings and with third parallel gabled wing added in C19. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. South-east front: original portion of front has 2 gables, the left smaller than the right; brick band overall at first floor and thinner band on line of closely-set brick ogee-moulded corbels above upper windows. Below larger gable a further 3 rows of brick ornamentation (2 rows rounded, 1 cogged) and a similar 2 rows below smaller gable. One stepped brick window with central mullion in each gable head and 3 framed and mullioned windows at irregular heights on first storey. 3 similar windows to ground storey, the left window transomed. Window lights generally metal casements with some lattice-leaded. All mullions and frames are brick, rendered to imitate stone. Raised brick surround to doorway of rusticated pilasters surmounted by a brick pediment, under which is an elliptical moulded arch; raised brick pilaster at right-hand angle surmounted by a ball finial. Plain boarded and cross-boarded nail-studded entrance door. C20 casements to C19 gable end to left. North-east return: 2 similar windows on upper floor and one on ground floor; brick band to first floor continued from front. In centre a projecting brick stack. Rear at north-west: C17 gable to left mirrors that to the front but with single 2-light mullion at ground floor. C19 stone gable to right with 3/6 sash with 6/6 sash under as for south-west side. Slate-roofed outshut between gables. Left return side (south-west): 2-storey 3-window range with 3/6 sashes and 6/6 sashes at ground level with brick segmental arches and stone sills. Central pair of glazed doors with doorcase of plain pilasters and entablature. INTERIOR: C16 core of single trenched-purlin roof in central wing. 2 trusses survive, each of cambered tie beam, 4 vertical struts and collar. Reused C16 oak panelling reset at ground-floor middle bay. Reputed to have been built by Dutch craftsmen in 1623 whilst building Kyre near Tenbury.







Listing NGR: SO5469778357

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 54697 78357

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 04:35:10.