List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HENLEY HALL AND ATTACHED WALLS, BALUSTRADES AND STEPS TO SOUTH

List entry Number: 1383667

Location

HENLEY HALL AND ATTACHED WALLS, BALUSTRADES AND STEPS TO SOUTH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBitterley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484099

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BITTERLEY

SO57NW HENLEY 482-1/5/79 Henley Hall and attached walls, 12/11/54 balustrades and steps to south

GV II*

Country house. Mid C18, remodelled c1772, extensions c1875 and 1907. Brick with brick parapeted slate roofs. Generally either brick projecting gable-end stacks or integral ridge stacks, all plain but with oversailing caps with single spurred shaft to south. Linear developed plan with original C18 block extended each end in 1772 and at one end with major extensions in 1875 and 1907. EXTERIOR: generally 3-storey. North front facade of original range has mid C18 central slightly advanced 4-storey single-window bay with 12/12 sashes and upper 2-mullion and transom window capped with pediment, flanked by 3-storey, 3-window wings of 9/9 sashes and upper 3-mullion and transom windows. Flanking wings added c1772: 3-storey, 3-window range to left and 4-window range to right, with 9/9 sashes to first floor, 12/9 sashes to ground floor and large 4-mullion and transom upper windows. Left range central ground-floor sash brick-blocked and to right C20 range a projecting brick porch covers one sash bay. Sashes with moulded cases and no sills. All windows with gauged brick lintels. Central lead-roofed porch with pair of Tuscan columns supporting Doric entablature with open pediment. Doorcase with plain pilasters and 2/2 sash side lights with eared architrave. Pair of 8-panelled doors with fanlight with radial glazing bars. Top storey of all flanking wings remodelled with stone-coped parapets with 4 low gable pediments. Brick string courses at first and second floors. Lead rainwater hoppers dated 1772. Right return: extensive projecting 3-storey wings of 1875 and 1907 adjoin and cover original range. Left return end masked by 2-storey brick flat-roofed extension wing. Extension with 5 6/6 sashes to the north, the 2 outer in recessed bay, with blank lower floor. 4 12/12 sashes with 16/16 sashes below to the east front, the right-hand sash in recessed bay over a pedimented doorcase; 2 4/4 sashes to first floor of south elevation and 2/2 sashes to the ground floor. Additional ground-floor 16/16 sash incorporates glazed sundial roundel. Rear to south: central slightly advanced bay with portico which mirrors that at the N front but with glazed pair of doors, with mullioned C19 2/2 sashes with side lights and stone surrounds at both storeys. To right is 6-window range with 4/4 sashes to first floor and 1/1 C19 sashes or tall casements to ground floor. 2-mullion and transom casements to second floor, and with central change of level. To left the bay is covered by c1875 3-storey canted projecting bay with mullion and transom windows in each face. To left is the original range continuation of 2-window range of 4/4 sashes at first floor, mullion and transom windows to ground floor and single-mullion and transom window to second floor. Flat gauged-brick lintels and stone sills throughout. This side of the range has brick battlemented parapet. Left side of range masked by c1907 projecting 2-storey flat-roofed extension with other C20 extension wings beyond. INTERIOR: painted panelled drawing room incorporating C17 oak panelling and with mid C19 decorative feature of Royal portrait medallions and Jacobean-style strapwork plastered ceiling. C18 staircase with slim balusters, 3 per open tread. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: walls, balustrades and steps to south: early C20 balustraded terrace extends across the south front of the house, with steps down to west side to early C19 walls and gateways enclosing square formal rose garden, with sundial in centre (qv). Ashlar arcaded balustrading to terrace wall and steps, in panels spaced by piers with ball-head finials, set on brick retaining walls. Rose garden walls are brick with ashlar coping with concave coping steps, and brick gatepiers surmounted by ball-head finials. (Country Life: 1946-: 303-348; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 147).



Listing NGR: SO5413376092

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 147
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1946), 303-348

National Grid Reference: SO 54133 76092

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 05:44:26.