List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1383628

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAshford Carbonel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484060

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHFORD CARBONELL

SO57SW Church of St Mary 482-1/9/41 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 core with additions of the C13 and C15, restored 1883. MATERIALS: sandstone rubble walls with ashlar dressings. Weatherboarded timber-framed bell turret with pyramid roof. Graduated stone tiles with stone coped gables. C12 chancel extended C13, nave C12 extended late C13 with C15 west turret and C19 south porch. EXTERIOR: restored chancel east window consists of a vesica window over 2 small restored round-headed lancets. North wall with 2 C12 or C13 round-headed lancets. South wall with C12 round-headed lancet and a C15 window of twin cusped lancets. C12 south priest's doorway with moulded round-arched head with square abacus with plain chamfer under. Plain door. Nave north wall with C12 round-headed lancet to left. C14 window to extreme left of 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil over. To centre a late C12 doorway with round arch on plain abacus with dog-tooth hoodmould. Plain 3-board plank door, with separate tongue in edge-groove of board, together with single iron strap hinge, all possibly contemporary with doorway. Door blocked internally. South wall with C14 window to extreme left of twin cusped lancets with quatrefoil over and C19 imitation to extreme left. To right a single C12 round-headed lancet. C12 south doorway with plain tympanum with plain lintel set on abacus-type corbelled head of door jambs. Plain plank door reputed to be medieval with single contemporary strap hinge. West wall has single tall Transitional lancet with hoodmould and label stops of carved heads of probable medieval date. C19 south porch with ashlar-coped projecting gabled roof and coursed rusticated stone walls with Early-English-style arched doorway. INTERIOR: 5-bay chancel roof from the C19 restoration with single purlin. Tenoned purlin with cusped wind braces above and below. Arched-braced collar trusses and cambered tie beams. Aumbry in north wall. C12 plain round chancel arch set on plain square abacus with chamfered soffit. 5-bay C16 nave roof. Double trenched purlin roof with ridge piece. Arched-braced collar with upper-collar trusses with alternate tie beam or hammerbeam lower members. Tie beams cambered. Vestigial hammerbeam ends with braces and wall posts below. Ovolo chamfers to tie beams, braces, principals and collars. C19 castellated wall plate. Bell turret inner face supported by C15 swept arch-braced tie-beams with twin struts over. Struts flanking half-lapped cross strutting below collar. All sections plain chamfered. Plain C12 tub font on C19 pillared-stem and base. Piscina with scalloped bowl in sill of south-east nave window. C15 stained glass survives in the quatrefoil of this window. Reset tomb slab in south-east corner of chancel of late C14 with vestiges of raised carved cross with fleur-de-lys embellishment. Small armorial stone tablet to Alethea Cheese d.1713. 2 small late C18 brasses (one a rebus to member of Yategate family). Memorial tablet with pediment, plaque and putti to Thomas Yate Esq. d.1777 and Elizabeth Yate d.1769. (An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire: Cranage D H S: 1895-; Various: St Mary Magdalene, Ashford Carbonel: A Guide to the Church: Leominster: 1985-).



Listing NGR: SO5251271004

Selected Sources

Books and journals
St Mary Magdalene, Ashford Carbonel: A Guide to the Church, (1985)
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908)

National Grid Reference: SO 52512 71004

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 12:59:40.