List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1383609

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, ASHFORD BOWDLER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAshford Bowdler

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484041

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHFORD BOWDLER

SO5170 Church of St Andrew 482-1/14/24 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 and C15, restored 1846, 1904 and 1907. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with verge with bargeboards. Wooden turret and spire clad with wood shingles. PLAN: chancel with north vestry, nave incorporating turret with spire, south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel rebuilt in 1907 incorporating Norman-style lancets each side and a Decorated-style east window of 3 cusped lancets with rose window over. Early C20 north vestry extension. Nave with restored opposing north and south twin cusped lancets. C19 2-centred arched window to north. Rubble-blocked Norman doorways to north and south walls. Decorated-style west window of twin cusped lancets with trefoil over. C15 2-centred arched south door with early C20 slate-roofed gabled south porch. Bell-turret remodelled 1846 to create a broach spire from a needle spire, louvred bell-openings. INTERIOR: chancel with early C20 trussed rafter roof and chancel arch. Nave: plastered ceiling, piscina on south wall, mid C19 box pews and panelling from older pews forming dado and pulpit. Monuments: 5 mid C18 to early C19 armorial tablets to Green family including tablet with cornice and urn to Thomas Green d.1825 by Samuel Stead of Ludlow, and tablet with urns and obelisk to Johnathan Green d.1792 by Stephens of Worcester. 4 mid C18 armorial tablets to Hall family. Notable memorial to Thomas Bourke Ricketts d.1864 with genealogical information filling main slab and 3 additional slabs under.





Listing NGR: SO5194170553

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 51941 70553

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 07:02:57.