List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1383593

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAbdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484025

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ABDON

SO58NE Church of St Margaret 482-1/1/2 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C14 rebuilt 1731. Stone rubble with ashlar dressing. Plain-tile roof with bargeboarded verge. PLAN: chancel and nave with bellcote and south porch. EXTERIOR: single-bay chancel. Restored east window in Decorated style of 2 cusped lancets with mouchettes under hoodmould with headstops. South wall with Decorated window of 2 cusped lancets with trefoil. 3-bay nave. North side with 3 paired lancets in Early English style. South side with similar paired lancets flanking south door. Doorway with ovolo-moulded 2-centred arch. South porch: restored roof with twin vertical strut truss with cambered tie beam, and slots in principals for single trenched purlin, set on porch walls. Bellcote: 2 arched bell openings under ashlar coped canopy. INTERIOR: chancel with single-bay single-purlin roof with swept wind braces on lower tier. West truss of twin raking struts with cambered tie beam. Nave: 3-bay double-purlin roof with 3 trusses and straight wind braces on lower 2 tiers. East truss abuts truss in chancel and has straight tie beam, king-post with 4 raking struts each side, 4 posts under tie beam forming tripartite chancel entrance. 2 arch-braced collar trusses. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 47).





Listing NGR: SO5753786605

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 47

National Grid Reference: SO 57537 86605

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 01:53:30.