List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1383589

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWhitton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484021

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITTON

SO57SE Church of St Mary the Virgin 582-1/4/179 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 chancel and nave, C14 tower, restored and chancel extended 1891 by Sir Aston Webb. Stone rubble and render with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roof with integral roof over chancel and nave, with ashlar-coped gables, pyramid slate roof to tower. PLAN: chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel with late C19 Decorated-style east window and diagonal offset buttresses. South wall with C19 window of 2 cusped lights to right, and C14 cusped lancet set in simple chamfered ogee-headed surround to left. North wall covered by gabled late C19 north vestry with east door and north windows. Nave: north wall with 2 C12 round-headed lancets, one restored, flanking blocked C14 north door of ogee-headed arch with ovolo chamfer over simple chamfered door jambs. Large buttress with offsets to right. South wall with restored C14 cusped round-headed lancet to right, and small restored Norman lancet to left, of C12 south door with plain tympanum and jambs, simple soffit chamfered abaci and dog-tooth edging. South porch with tiled gabled roof on C19 framing set on high brick plinth incorporating benches. Tower: slightly battered walls with plain parapet and low pyramid slate roof. Bold roll-moulded string course below parapet and with rainwater shutes below to north and south. Cusped lancet to upper stage to west. Flat-headed slits on 3 faces of middle stage and flat-headed window to lower stage to south. INTERIOR: 4-bay nave and integral chancel roof with 3 late C17-C18 king-post trusses with raking struts, all with chamfered soffits supporting twin trenched-purlin roof. C19 barrel roof over extended chancel. Piscina in west splay of south chancel lancet. Pointed tower arch. C14 octagonal font located in tower. Marble memorial tablet with raised border to Allan Whitefoord d.1776. Stained glass by Burne Jones and William Morris of c1893 in east window.





Listing NGR: SO5758772860

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 57587 72860

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 05:12:48.