List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1383537

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityHopton Wafers

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483968

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOPTON WAFERS S06376 Church of St Michael 582-1/10/129 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. 1827, restored 1892. Built for Thomas Botfield. Sandstone ashlar, with ashlar plinth. Slate roof with projecting eaves and verge supported on ornamental eaves corbels. PLAN: nave incorporating chancel, south porch, west tower. EXTERIOR: nave east window and 4 opposing side windows all in arched C19 Gothic-style, with mullions and simple foiled tracery. One south window covered by south porch with arched entrance opening and semi-castellated parapet. Tower: Romanesque-style round-headed windows with simple ornament at upper and lower stages. String courses. Roundel in middle stage to south. Parapet with pointed crenellation and corner pinnacles, over weathered string course. INTERIOR: late C19 4-bay hammerbeam roof and chancel screen. West gallery with cast-iron embellishment. C12 font. Wall monument to Thomas Botfield d.1843 by EH Baily: large relief of reclining and kneeling figures. Other Classical wall monuments to John Hale d.1779; James Stanton and Ann his wife d.1817 by T Hare; Mrs Mary Hyde d.1778. West tower has fragment of CI5 glass depicting angel.



Listing NGR: SO6373476544

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 63734 76544

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 10:48:52.