List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1383510

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityGreete

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483940

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREETE

SO57SE Church of St James 582-1/4/103 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 nave, C13 chancel, C15 and C18 alterations, restored 1856. MATERIALS: rubble stone and coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, partly roughcast rendered. Banded plain and club-pattern clay tile roofs with ashlar coped gables at each end and pierced ornamental tile ridge. PLAN: chancel, nave with bellcote and south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel east window of 3 restored stepped lancets under brick rebuilt gable. North wall rendered, with Early English lancet. Blocked doorway with shallow pointed arch. South wall rendered, with 3 single C13 cusped lancets with hoodmould to left window, carved head reset above central window. Nave: rendered north wall on ashlar plinth. To left is one twin oak mullion C15 window with carved cusped head within ogee pattern border, to right one Early English lancet. South wall rebuilt with restored oak window to right to match that on north wall. Much renewed C12 central south door of 3 plain orders of carving, plain tympanum and pillars and plain cushion capitals. To left is restored twin cusped lancet and single Early English lancet. West wall set on ashlar plinth capped with roll-moulded course with projecting central flat buttress with ashlar capping at upper 2 stages. Norman lancet set in buttress. Later bellcote set on gable-end: twin bell-openings with roundel over, and roof of coped ashlar with corbelled and nailhead enriched eaves. C19 gabled tiled south porch with arch-braced collar truss set on a simple traceried arcade set on high ashlar plinth. INTERIOR: chancel with 3-bay single-purlin roof with 2 king post trusses. Piscina with projecting fluted bowl and sedilia set in rere arch in south wall. C19 pointed chancel arch set on simple shaft column. Nave: restored arch-braced rafter roof with collar and ashlaring. Pulpit with C18 panelling. Memorial tablet with cornice and pyramid over with inscribed quatrefoil, to Catherine wife of John Hall d.1775. C14 font with plain octagonal bowl, base and concave pedestal, and with C17 cover.





Listing NGR: SO5772070876

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 57720 70876

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:08:22.