List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1383457

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityCleobury Mortimer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483875

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLEOBURY MORTIMER

SO6775 CHURCH STREET 582-1/13/50 (North side) 12/11/54 Church of St Mary

GV I

Church. C12, C13 tower, C13 nave and chancel with C14 roofs, late C13 chantry chapel and north aisle, C13 south aisle and porch, C15 north vestry; repaired 1793 by Telford, restored 1874 by Scott. MATERIALS: coursed and uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roofs, with old tiles on south pitch of nave, stone-coped gables, oak shingles to spire. EXTERIOR: chancel has late C13 east window with triple cusped lancet tracery. C14 lancet with quatrefoil over twin cusped lancets on west side of north wall and C19 restored flat-headed window with twin cusped lancets to east side. North vestry raised in C19 restoration but retaining C16 twin cusped light east window. 2 restored C16 flat-headed twin and triple cusped lancet windows to south set between C19 restored stepped buttresses. Nave: covered on the north side by north aisle and chantry chapel; aisle with single C13 pointed arched doorway with ogee mouldings and hoodmould, and to west is pointed window of twin cusped lancets and quatrefoil; chapel with 2 arched north windows with tracery of twin cusped lancets with sexfoil over and arched window with tracery of triple cusped lancets to east. South side of nave with 5 simple rectangular clerestory windows with chamfered reveals. South aisle with 3 renewed broad lancets set between C19 restored stepped buttresses to right of porch and single broad lancet to left, east window flat-headed with twin cusped lancets, single lancet in west wall. South door with C13 pointed arch with hoodmould with label stops, and capitals with stiff-leaf foliage. C19 door. South porch: C13 projecting gabled stone porch with pointed-arched opening with 2 orders of shafts and roll mould, hoodmould with label stops, capitals with stiff-leaf foliage and heads. Reset stone stoup in north-west corner carved with a large head. Plastered vaulted roof. Tower: 4 stage tower with lower 2 stages C12 with shallow clasping buttresses and reset former tower arch set in west wall. C13 upper stages above offset. Clockface over lancet on south face, lancet at each lower stage on west face, the lowest being a wide lancet, single lancet at upper stage on north face. Top stage with pointed arched bell-opening on each face each incorporating 2 lancets. C14 tall shingled broach-spire with distinctive twist. INTERIOR: chancel with C14 3-bay double-tenoned purlin roof with 2 arch-braced trusses supporting collar purlin with arched rafters. Trusses with moulded chamfered braces, cusped with principals at head. Chamfered purlins with cusped straight braces in middle tier. Pointed chancel arch with 3 orders of shafts, 2 with shaft-rings, rich stiff-leaf capitals and hoodmoulds each side. Hagioscope in south-east corner of vestry. Nave: C14 5-bay double purlin roof of 6 arch-braced trusses with cusped collar and principals. Principals and arched braces set on foreshortened hammerbeams with wall posts with carved side braces set on stone corbels. Straight cusped windbraces in middle roof tier, together with cusped purlin faces, form trefoil pattern. Each rafter braced to upper collar and with lower brace to wall plate. Late C13 5-bay north aisle incorporating 2 wide bays for chantry chapel, 5-bay C13 arcade to south. Both arcades with circular piers, circular capitals and abaci, and double-chamfered pointed arches with hoodmoulds. Tower arch has subsided to horse-shoe shape and is C19 restoration of original Norman round arch with 2 inner rings inserted during C19 restoration, outer order with foliate and interlacing ornamented capitals on shafts, plain chamfered abaci and hoodmould. Memorials: on north wall of chantry chapel to Edward Toldery d.1761 and descendants, by Stephens of Worcester; on south wall of chancel to James Compson d.1765. 6 bells recast in 1757 by Rudhall of Gloucester. Clock erected 1772 by Mr Donisthorpe of Birmingham. The church is renowned for the twisted spire which forms a very distinctive local landmark and has become the main focus in general references to the town. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 105; An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire: Cranage D H S: 1895-).



Listing NGR: SO6739675786

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1895)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 105

National Grid Reference: SO 67400 75791

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 09:34:00.