List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BURFORD HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL ATTACHED TO THE SOUTH EAST

List entry Number: 1383418

Location

BURFORD HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL ATTACHED TO THE SOUTH EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBurford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483836

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURFORD

SO56NE Burford House and garden wall 582-1/8/19 attached to the south-east. 12/11/54

GV II*

House. Early to mid C18, reputed to be built in 1728 for William Bowles M.P., proprietor of the Vauxhall glass works. Restored and altered c1954 for John Treasure. Red brick with brick storey bands and brick parapet. Plain-tile roof with brick coped parapets and gables. Brick integral gable-end stacks with lateral and axial stacks. Double-pile plan with rear parallel extension. EXTERIOR: north front is a 3-storey 6-window range of tall 9/9 sashes to ground and first floors, and 6/6 second-floor sashes, all with gauged brick lintels. Early C19 central projecting porch with Doric columns and open pediment. Front door set in panelled reveals, with pair of glazed panelled doors with fanlight with radial glazing bars. Later brick wings on east and west sides now demolished. East side now with C20 multi-pane casements at ground and first floor. West side with C20 first-floor sash and ground-floor French windows with flanking casements, terrace to west formed from demolished wing and incorporating stone from base of medieval chimney. Rear: 3-storey 5-window range of 6/6 sashes with gauged brick lintels, central restored projecting porch mirroring the front porch and with glazed door and fanlight with festoon and radial glazing bars. INTERIOR: contains some good panelling to ground-floor rooms. The entrance hall has complete wall panelling, moulded cornices, 6-panelled doors, and elliptical arched panelled arcade. Brick walls approximately 3 metres high with weathered coping extending from the south-east corner of Burford House approximately 80 metres to the east and then 40 metres to the south.



Listing NGR: SO5821267972

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 58215 67973

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 01:55:29.