List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

List entry Number: 1383393

Location

CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAbdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483811

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TUGFORD

SO58NE Church of St Catherine 1312-1/12/214 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 nave, C14 chancel and C14 west tower with early C18 rebuilt upper stages. Sandstone rubble partly rendered and with ashlar dressings, coursed rubble upper stage of tower. Plain-tile roof with ashlar coped gable and gutterless rendered deep eaves soffit, tiled pyramid tower roof with weather-vane. PLAN: plan of integral chancel and nave with west tower and south porch. EXTERIOR: chancel with diagonal corner buttresses and string course. Decorated 3-light pointed east window with reticulated tracery. North wall with 3 broad arched recesses, 2 with cusped decoration. South wall with single arched recess mirroring the opposing north wall recess. Decorated 2-light window with trefoil vesica to north and south walls. Single lancet on north side to right. Small blocked doorway on south with tympanum with carved low-relief semicircular cable and roll ornamentation. Nave: north wall with blocked and rendered round headed doorway, C12 round-headed lancet, with, to left, a Decorated pointed window of twin cusped lancets and trefoil over. South wall with Decorated window to right mirroring that in the north wall; 2 chamfered blocked openings, 2 Decorated broad cusped lancets flanking C13 buttress; late C12 south doorway of moulded round-headed arch, with keel and lozenge pattern outer arch-ring, deep moulded abaci, filleted shafts with capitals with undercut foliage to left and scallop with rosette to right, label stops with hoodmould missing. Covered with simple C19 tiled gabled porch. Tower: 3 stages with clasping buttresses; lancet on 3 faces of lower stages except for restored pointed west doorway; twin bell-openings with round-headed arches and keyblocks on all faces of upper stage; battlemented parapets. Upper stage of west face dated 1720. INTERIOR: single moulded tie beam visible in otherwise plastered interior. Pointed tower arch. Early C18 communion rails with turned balusters and inscription `TITUS WATUS-1716-CLARK GAVE THIS REAILE'. 2 small shiela-na-gigs each side of south door. Late C12 or C13 chalice font with 16-sided fluted panelled bowl set on a cable mould and a cylindrical stem. Gothick-style panelled front to west gallery of C18. (An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire: Cranage D H S: 1895-).



Listing NGR: SO5571087060

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1895)

National Grid Reference: SO 55710 87060

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 04:03:41.