List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WILDERHOPE MANOR

List entry Number: 1383384

Location

WILDERHOPE MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityRushbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Feb-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483802

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RUSHBURY

SO59SW Wilderhope Manor 1312-1/7/183 12/11/54 (Formerly Listed as: Wilderhope)

GV I

Manor house, now owned by National trust and used as Youth Hostel. Late C16, restored 1936. For Francis Smallman. MATERIALS: stone rubble with ashlar dressings to window surrounds throughout and quoins, hoodmoulds, mullion and transom windows, entrance porch surround, plinth cap, copings and finials on the front only. Rectangular leaded lights throughout. Old stone-slate roofs with ashlar coped gables with finials to front, plain gables and conical turret roof to rear. Wide partly projecting stone eaves stacks at each side and rear surmounted with 3 spurred diagonal shafts with connecting oversailing caps, the south-west side with 5 shafts on a base of diapered brickwork. PLAN: approximate H-shaped plan with gabled extension within the arms on each side. EXTERIOR: 2-storey and attic. South-east front with 4 gables, the 3 to the right projecting, with single window in each storey in each block, with stone mullions and transoms and hoodmoulds. Much of the original glazing remains, as well as the iron stanchions. The gable-head windows and 2 left-hand gable upper and single left-hand lower windows have 3 lights, the remaining upper-floor windows have 4 lights, ground-floor centre-right gable (great hall) window has 6 lights and additional 3-light returns, the far right gable window has 5 lights with 3-light return and simple mullion window on the inner return wall. Porch is in the left projecting gable and has a moulded shallow 3-centred opening to a recessed oak nail-studded door. South-west side: central projecting stack with single small window set in the stack to the left. North-east side: central projecting stack with single mullion window to left at ground storey and to both storeys to right. Rear: gables at each end, that to the right projecting and with mullion window at each storey and single-light windows on the return wall, that to the left partly covered by both a small full-height gabled garderobe outshut and a large semicircular stair turret. Both turret and main gable with single light windows over mullion windows. Central projecting stack in linking wall with ground-storey mullion window to left and upper-floor mullion window to right over cambered doorway. INTERIOR: most walls have exposed square-panelled framing, ovolo-moulded door surrounds, and decorative plastered ceilings. Hall with cartouches in ceiling with `FS' and `1601' and `IESV.' and large Tudor-arched fireplace with carved surround, 4-centred north doorway. Parlour to north bay has more elaborate ceiling of star-shaped ribs and motifs and is dated 1601 and `IESV'; chamfered 4-centred fireplace with cast fire-back dated 1669, early 2-panelled door with raised moulding. Upper-floor rooms contain fireplaces with 4-centred mantelbeams with chamfered surrounds, chamfered bridging beams with ogee stops. One small room is panelled, dated 1672. Stair turret with conical roof with 4-centred chamfered beam and winder staircase of solid oak blocks round a tall central newel post reaching through both storeys. South cross wing has a 4-bay twin trenched-purlin roof with chamfered purlins and trusses with collar and no tie beam. Main range has a 4-bay twin trenched-purlin roof (single to north) with 5 collar trusses. North cross wing has a 4-bay twin purlin roof.





Listing NGR: SO5452792879

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 54527 92879

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 05:29:55.