List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1383331

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityMunslow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483749

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MUNSLOW

SO5287 Church of St Michael 1312-1/15/168 12/11/54

GV I

Church. C12 tower, C12 and C13 chancel, nave C13 and C15, north aisle C15, restored 1868-70. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. PLAN: chancel with south vestry, nave with south porch, west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel east window with simple tracery and hoodmould. North wall with pointed window with twin lancet and dagger to right, C13 lancet to left. South wall covered by projecting gabled vestry with twin cusped lancets in south gable, to left is restored arched opening with boarded door. Nave: north aisle with restored pointed window with Decorated style tracery to left; to centre is pointed window with twin cusped lancets and sexfoil; to right are twin round-headed lancets under stepped hoodmould. End walls of aisle each with opposing pointed windows with Decorated tracery. South wall with cusped lancet to far right next to a shallow flat buttress. 3 central late C13 or early C14 windows: to right is restored 2-light plate-tracery window with quatrefoil in chamfered surround; to centre is 2-light window with trefoil vesica; to left is single-light cusped window with stepped and hollow chamfered surround. South doorway has chamfered arched opening with plain hoodmould and medieval door straps on later boarded door. South porch: timber-framed with 2 trusses, single-purlin roof and wall frames of central post, middle rail with 2 sets of 4-light cusped intersecting arched tracery over. Base cruck trusses with collars with grooved chamfers. Wall frames with projecting brackets and hollow-chamfered and billet-moulded wall plates. Carved inset on inner truss post depicting a hound. 4-stage tower: roll moulding over battered plinth, pointed arch with twin cusped lancets and quatrefoil at lower stage, first stage with round-headed lancets on 3 faces, second stage with slit windows on the north and south faces, upper stage with arched louvred bell-chamber openings with cusps on all faces except for round-headed opening to the west face; plain C18 parapet. INTERIOR: unplastered walls. Chancel with twin-purlin roof with 2 trusses of arch-braced collars, double roll-moulded purlins and arched braces. C13 lancet on south side opening into vestry. Restored pointed chancel arch. Nave: restored 5-bay roof of arch-braced collar trusses with twin cusped raking struts over, tie beams with low cusped raking struts and 3 purlins. Principal members are all double roll-moulded. Double-chamfered aisle arcade of 3 bays with octagonal piers. Arch-braced collar and rafter roof over north aisle. Round tower arch with simple chamfered abaci and enriched hoodmould with figurative label stops. 9 medieval bench-ends and seats on the south side of the nave. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil carved panels and recessed cusped lancets on the stem. Some medieval glass fragments reset in south nave windows. C16 glass in north aisle window in memoriam to Sir John LLoyde d.1528, and in east aisle window in memoriam to Richard Schepard. Slate wall monument to William Churchman d.1602 with shrouded figure flanked by skull and hourglass, brass plaques to Richard Baldwin d.1689 and Joyce his daughter d.1674. Wall monuments by Carline of Shrewsbury: Greek temple style to Rev. Richard Powell d.1842 and in Gothic style to Thomas Pemberton d.1832.



Listing NGR: SO5211287717

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 52112 87720

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 09:01:11.