List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEW HALL

List entry Number: 1383304

Location

NEW HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityEaton-under-Heywood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Feb-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483722

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EATON UNDER HEYWOOD

SO48NE New Hall 1312-1/10/112 12/11/54 (Formerly Listed as: TICKLERTON New Hall)

GV II*

House. C16 with later alterations, mid-C20 restoration. The original timber-framed fabric now encased in red brick on stone rubble plinth to front and partly exposed to rear. Plain-tile roofs. Lateral brick ridge stack with 4 spurred shafts with connecting oversailing cap. H-shaped plan. EXTERIOR: main 2-storey, 3-window range of casements. Projecting gables at each end with casements at both storeys, front entrance door in left return side of right-hand gable which is covered by canopy formed from extension of the gable-end roof-pitch. C20 metal casements with square leaded lights. Rear: projecting brick gable at each end of a timber-framed central range. Full-height close-studded timber frame to right-hand bays, the square framing 2 panels high with inset diagonal bracing at upper storey over close-studded lower storey to left bay, 3 casements. Left-hand gable-end with single casement over hipped tiled bay window, square framing with inset diagonal bracing on right return side at upper level. Right-hand gable-end with casement at each storey and close studding on left return side at upper storey. INTERIOR: In upper level of hall (formerly the Great Chamber) is c.1560 wall painting, done directly on the timber-framed interior wall, and stretching over 4 plaster panels and supporting stud, rails and brace. Approximately 1.9 metres high by 2.1 metres wide, it represents a stag-hunt; a bearded huntsman spearing a stag held by hounds, in background a house and with border decoration of tree foliage. Drawing is principally black on white ground, with patches of red. In a downstairs room, the former Parlour, is a room of panelling (formerly covering the painting at first floor level) with chamfered cross beams to ceiling. Concealed behind the panelling are 6 panels of paintings, these designed to cover only the plaster in-fill and executed on an earthen render with a limewash layer but not an intermediary lime plaster. The upper panels comprise Bay 1: three figures including male in profile, male figure in ruffle with bag pipe, and male in profile wearing a pike's helmet, Bay 2: three figures including a woman with Tudor rose and forget-me-not, a central woman with lute or cittern, and bearded man with his hands on his hips, Bay 4: a man ringing a white bell, second man with an instrument that may be a viol and part of a bird and crouching monkey to the right, also with head of a dog similar to those in the hunting scene. Below these are surviving bays of a black and white decorative scheme in an Italianate style, and with a hare. To upper floor north room, a fragment of painting to the top of a wooden post with stencilling and initials. HISTORY: Built with an H-plan of regional interest as an example of an 'early modern house': fully floored with the Great Chamber above, screens passage, service rooms to north and parlour to south, altogether a development from the 3-part Medieval plan of a clearly defined solar, service ends and screen passage flanking an open hall. The floor in the central bay has been removed and changes made in the mid-C20. The C17 panelling formerly in the Great Chamber (covering the Stag painting), was moved in the C20 to the Parlour, and later hinged to reveal the paintings in that room. SOURCE: Madge Moran, Vernacular Buildings of Shropshire (Logaston Press, 2003).

Listed at Grade II* for its particular special interest as a c.1560 house of H-plan with original timber framing, a room of C17 panelling and three contemporary wall painting schemes including a stag hunting scene in the former Great Chamber and several Tudor figures, animals, and Italianate style decoration in the former ground floor Parlour, all having intricate iconographical interest.

Listing NGR: SO4894989147

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 48951 89146

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 09:10:14.