List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1383267

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityChurch Stretton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483685

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH STRETTON

SO4593 CHURCH STREET 1312-1/13/43 (East side) 04/07/52 Church of St Lawrence

GV I

Church. C12 nave with C13 transepts, crossing and chancel, tower upper stage C15, vestry added 1831, transept aisles added 1868 in restoration by S Pauntney Smith, restored 1882 and 1932. MATERIALS: generally rubble stone with ashlar dressings, partly coursed rubble and ashlar to the transepts, ashlar upper stage of tower. Plain-tile roofs with partly ornamental ridges and with ashlar coped gables, plain-tiled pyramid tower roof. PLAN: cruciform plan consisting of nave and chancel, transepts with aisles and central tower. EXTERIOR: chancel with pointed arched east window with Perpendicular-style tracery of c1639 with hoodmould with restored label stops. On north side to left is probable early C17 pointed window with twin lancet tracery and hoodmould with partly restored label stops; to centre is projecting late C19 gabled organ chamber with imitation Norman-style interlaced arcade decoration; to right is pointed arched doorway with hoodmould and label stop and with oak studded door. South side with window to right mirroring window on the north side; to centre left is pointed arched priest's doorway with roll moulding and hoodmould with chamfer stops; to left is pointed window and C16 flat-headed window above, both with chamfered surrounds. North Transept: C14 pointed arched window with Decorated-style tracery of 3 cusped lancets and quatrefoils. C13 lancet to left return side. Right return side covered by late C19 transept aisle with pointed window to north and 2 lancets to west. South Transept: restored pointed arched 3-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. Right return wall with C13 lancet. To left of transept is C19 transept aisle extension with advanced gable with diagonal buttresses and traceried pointed window. To far left is projecting vestry gable with roughcast rendered walls, pointed window with Flamboyant tracery, and dated 1831. Nave: north side with wide flat buttress in centre containing C12 doorway with double roll-moulded semicircular arch and hoodmould, internally blocked door. Sheila-na-gig set in wall over. South side with C13 pointed window with twin lancet tracery. West end has corners with broad flat clasping buttresses, early C17 tall pointed window with Decorated-style tracery, datestone over dated both 1619 and 1978. Slightly advanced early C19 moulded door surround with pointed arched doorway. Tower: 3 stages with 2 stages above nave roof with diagonal stepped buttresses, dripmould string courses featuring corner and central gargoyles and carved bosses. Chamfered lancets to east and south faces of the lower stage and each face of mid stage, the east side now with a clockface. Flat-headed louvred bell-chamber openings to each face of the upper stage with pointed arched tracery of 2 cusped lancets and quatrefoil. Battlemented parapet with ornate corner finials. INTERIOR: unplastered interior walls. Trussed rafter roofs in chancel and north transept. South transept has arched brace collar-truss roof with central tier of opposing carved windbraces. C13 trussed rafter roof in nave. Transitional pointed arches under the tower crossing, with restored capitals of square moulded abaci and capitals with volutes, stiff-leaf carving and heads. Norman south door with one order of shafts and one capital with volutes now forms the entrance to the vestry. Transitional C12 doors in the north transept aisle arcade. Piscina in south chancel flat-headed window. Carved reredos dated 1647; panelling near the font is made of the old pulpit. Perpendicular-style font of carved octagonal bowl set on pedestal. 8 bells including 6 cast by Abraham Rudhall of Gloucester in 1711. Stained glass by Betton and Evans of Shrewsbury.





Listing NGR: SO4523893677

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 45239 93675

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 11:22:56.