List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1383212

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityActon Scott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483630

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ACTON SCOTT

SO48NE Church of St Margaret 1312-1/10/11 12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 nave, tower C14, chancel and nave south wall rebuilt C19, porch dated 1722, north chapel 1820. MATERIALS: stone rubble and coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tiled nave roof, slate chancel roof with ashlar coped gable, hipped slate north chapel roof. PLAN: chancel, nave with north transept and south porch, west tower offset slightly to south. EXTERIOR: chancel with C19 east window of triple stepped lancets. 2-light flat-headed south window with cusped ogee tracery renewed early C20 and set in former doorway. Nave: north wall with small C12 lancet to right, wall to left partly covered by north chapel. North chapel with opposing east and west pointed windows with simple tracery, that to the east with adjacent boarded door set in slightly projecting ashlar surround with 4-centred arched opening. South wall with C19 pointed window with simple tracery to right; to left is south doorway of simple chamfered round-arched opening and early C19 panelled door all covered by projecting gabled porch with round-headed arched opening incorporating datestone, dated 1722; renewed cusped lancet at high level over porch. Tower: 2 stage tower. Lower stage has pointed window to west and restored doorway to south with shouldered lintel and with small lancet over. Upper stage has louvred bell-opening on each face with shouldered lintel under stepped hoodmould, with those to the east and south wider and with central mullion. Clockface to east face. String course and battlemented parapet at top. INTERIOR: chancel with 3-bay twin-purlin roof with 4 restored C15 arch-braced collar trusses with half-lapped cusped windbraces. Nave: 4-bay twin-purlin roof with 3 restored arched braced collar trusses with moulded soffits and with cusped windbraces. North chapel for Stackhouse family: square on plan, with ribbed Gothic Revival plastered ceiling and entablatures. West gallery c1817. C19 font. Late C19 pews with dado panelling from earlier box pews. 2 bells of c1350 by John of Gloucester and one C15 bell from Worcester. Chancel has large monument to Edward Acton d.1747, a sarcophagus under a canopy with paired Tuscan columns, metope frieze and pediment; designed by William Baker and executed by William Hiorn. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 52).



Listing NGR: SO4536889434

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 52

National Grid Reference: SO 45368 89434

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 10:30:45.