List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ACTON SCOTT HALL INCLUDING SERVICE COURT AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1383205

Location

ACTON SCOTT HALL INCLUDING SERVICE COURT AND RAILINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityActon Scott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483623

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ACTON SCOTT

SO48NE Acton Scott Hall including service 1312-1/10/6 court and railings 12/11/54

II*

House. c1580 with medieval vestiges, early C19 alterations and additions. Brick with ashlar dressings to windows, quoins, and moulded storey bands, lower ground storey of stone rubble. Plain-tile roofs with moulded ashlar coped gables with finials. Mullion and transom windows throughout all with lattice metal glazing bars, and straight dripmoulds over top-storey windows. 2 stepped large projecting stacks on each side, with one stack wider, with upper spurred shafts of restored moulded brick with oversailing continuous caps, with 4 shafts on the wider stacks and 2 shafts on the others. Square plan with 3 gables on each side with brick extension wing on the west side. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and 3 storeys to garden side. Entrance front (north) is a 4-storey, 3-window range of 3-light mullion and transom windows, the top-storey windows set wider on the elevation than those below, the lower ground-floor windows without transoms, the central windows on the lower 2 storeys now covered by a brick projecting entrance lobby extension with 3-light mullion window at mezzanine level and with front entrance door on the left return side. Garden front (south): 3-storey, 3-window range with 2-storey canted projecting mullion and transom bay windows with hipped tiled roofs flanking central 3-light mullion and transom window over a 2-light mullion and transom window, 2-light mullion and transom windows at top storey. 2 ornamented lead spouts, hoppers and downpipes. To left of range is garden entrance set in brick extension; ashlar door surround with segmental pediment on pilasters with Acton Arms in tympanum of pediment. West side: 4-storey, 3-window range of 2-light mullion and transom windows, 3-light mullion and transom at top level centre, the windows separated by the 2 large projecting stacks. Doorway through the left stack, the lower left window brick-blocked. 2-storey brick extension covering the lower 2 storeys to the right; brick extension with segmental arched windows. East side: 4-storey, 3-window range of 3-light mullion and transom windows, now with single top-storey window to right and 3 windows to left. Doorway to central bay. Windows separated by the 2 large projecting stacks and the middle bay projecting forward between the stacks below the top storey. Ashlar segmental arched fireplace surround set in right stack from former 2-storey extension wing demolished mid-late C20. INTERIOR: good plasterwork in ceiling of dining room with pomegranate and rose motifs. Plaster cornice ornamented with squirrels and grotesque heads in library plus some imported panelling from nearby house. Carved mantelpiece in drawing room inscribed `S.A. 1641'. Late C18 staircase. Greenhouse and stone rubble slate-roofed buildings form a service courtyard which abuts the brick extension on the west side. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: pair of gatepiers frame iron gate with railings running 25 metres to third pier, all of which abut the service buildings and encloses west side of garden; piers of brick with moulded ashlar bases, quoins, corniced caps surmounted by vases (cf Gateway 5 metres east of Churchyard).





Listing NGR: SO4557689522

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 45576 89522

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:03:11.