List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1383176

Location

23, THE LIBERTY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483594

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLS

ST5446 THE LIBERTY 662-1/6/311 (East side) 12/11/53 No.23

GV II*

Detached house, now part of Wells Cathedral School. Built for William Parfitt, Chapter Clerk, 1819. Doulting stone ashlar, hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapet, ashlar chimney stacks. Neo Classical style. A symmetrical double-depth plan with central hall and lateral staircase to the left, with a bold central porch. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3 bays, the centre bay brought forward slightly. Plinth with ground and first-floor sill strings, cornice between first and second floors, pilasters to cornices and between bays, panelled at second floor level, attic storey and parapet. Ground floor has large 15-pane sashes with architrave and hood moulds, the first floor has smaller 12-pane in plain reveals, and the second floor has 6-pane casement windows, that to bay 2 altered. The enclosed porch, on 5 steps with end plinths, has a pair of narrow panelled doors under a plain transom-light, with thin architrave and moulded cornice, between flat pilasters in antis, and panelled end pilasters, carrying an entablature with slightly pedimented centre blocking; the returns have 8-pane sashes. To the N is a projecting flat-roofed section containing the staircase. INTERIOR: partly inspected. A square entrance hall has a rear wall with canted corners, with 3 arched openings and paired panelled doors. To the left is the open geometrical stair with plain stone treads, and a decorative wrought-iron balustrade to a wreathed hardwood handrail with wreathing. The ground-floor rear left room has bowed ends and a very large tripartite 4:12:4-pane sash. A secondary stair has a solid string and stick balusters. The stone-flagged basement has an apsidal rear corresponding with the hall layout, with 3-light segmental-headed lights to grilles. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the site was for long occupied by a house belonging to the Abbot of Muchelney. The building, which stood on the front of the site, was said to be 'decayed' in 1469, and there were later sub-divisions of the property, which for a long period was used by the Vicars Choral. In 1819 a large new house was built for William Parfitt, the Chapter Clerk, and at this time remains of older buildings were removed. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners bought the house in 1933 from a butcher who, it was feared, might spoil the property by turning it into a garage with forecourt petrol-pumps. It was leased to the Cathedral School in the 1960's. A very formal facade, demonstrating the designer's acquaintance with current architectural fashion as led by Sir John Soane. (Bailey S: Canonical Houses of Wells: Gloucester: 1982-: 169; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 327).



Listing NGR: ST5521846067

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bailey, S, Canonical Houses of Wells, (1982), 169
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 327

National Grid Reference: ST 55218 46067

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 01:38:50.