List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RITCHIE HALL

List entry Number: 1383166

Location

RITCHIE HALL, 5, THE LIBERTY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483584

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLS

ST5446 THE LIBERTY 662-1/6/301 (North side) 12/11/53 No.5 Ritchie Hall (Formerly Listed as: THE LIBERTY (North side) No.5 (Formerly listed as Cathedral Grammar School, North Liberty))

GV II*

Part of the Wells Cathedral School. 1884, but incorporating fragments of a C12 Canon's Barn. Local stone roughly squared and coursed, with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roofs with terracotta ridge, coped gables. EXTERIOR: single and 2-storey, in a C15 style, 4 bays. Bay 1 is a projecting hall, with 5-light mullioned and transomd window with hoodmould over, bays 2 and 4, set back, have similar windows. Bay 3 is a deep projecting 2-storey porch, with plinth, parapet string and crenellation; the first floor has two 2-light C15-style traceried windows, and below is the entrance doorway with a moulded arch with label. Above the door a flush stone plaque is inscribed: "SCHOLA/CATHEDRALIS/MDCCCLXXXIV". INTERIOR: in the rear part of the building are 6 square piers with slightly rounded corners, to square chamfered abaci, and on double offset chamfered bases, carrying a heavy square aisle-plate. According to Pevsner documents refer to the Canon's Barn in Bishop Reginald's time, c1175-90, and if these are fragments from that time, they are the earliest secular fabric remaining in the city, and hence of considerable historic interest. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).





Listing NGR: ST5504646078

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958 - Page References: 328

National Grid Reference: ST 55046 46078

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 04:10:42.