List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1383021

Location

21, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483439

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLS

ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/159 (North side) 12/11/53 No.21 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE Nos.3-25)

GV II*

House with shop. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified in C19. Ashlar stonework, colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, brick chimney stack. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, single wide bay. Ground floor has very fine mid C19 projecting shop front (shared with No.23 (qv)), probably C19 of which the stallrisers have ornamental cast-iron vents, ornamented panelled pilasters with console brackets on left, 2-light display window with ornamental column mullions and rounded top corners, glazed doorway to right in angled recess, under semicircular ornamentally glazed fanlight, with large C19 lantern over, shallow fascia with shopblind. Upper floors have a wide shallow canted bay window to full height of parapet, incorporating sash windows of 24+36+24 panes to first floor and 16+24+16 panes to second floor. Medieval string course broken by bay. Small flat roofed dormer behind parapet, flagmast behind parapet to left. Stack to right, on raised coped verge. Rear elevation has one small pointed-arched window, and two ovolo-mould stone mullioned windows, one to ground floor being a 6-light, the other a 3-light to first floor, also the former offset for a chimney breast, now capped. INTERIOR: ground floor has 6-compartment ceiling with moulded beams, an C18 part dado rail, and other C18 features, some possibly imported. In the E part wall an elliptical arched recess. C20 stair to both floors; first floor has front room with 2-compartment ceiling with moulded beams. Second floor has a timber and plaster partition to the W party wall. Medieval roof in 2 bays, with arch-braced collar trusses, but the collar removed from centre truss, and later tie set lower, chamfered windbraces, and 2 purlins. In the rear wall a single-light C17 ovolo-mould casement with 3 vertical stanchions, and a connecting door to No.23 (qv). The front part of the shop said to have vaulted cellar. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).



Listing NGR: ST5504145807

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 328

National Grid Reference: ST 55041 45807

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 04:42:17.