List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1383017

Location

15, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483435

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLS

ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/154 (North side) 12/11/53 No.15 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (North side) Nos.3-25 (Odd))

GV II*

House with shop, now shop with flat over. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified in C19. Ashlar stonework, colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, brick chimney stack. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, single wide bay. Ground floor has projecting shop front of late C19, with fielded panel stall risers, plain display windows to either side of deep recessed central glazed door, on right a quarter-round window returning to what may be a former doorway, now a matching window, slim fascia with moulded cornice and lead flat roof. Upper floors have a wide shallow canted bay window with lead flat roof below parapet line, incorporating sash windows of 15+25+15 panes to first floor and 9+15+9 panes to second floor, with dentilled mould at each level. The medieval string course is pierced by second-floor window, and to left is a narrow buttress without offsets. Stack to left on raised coped verge. INTERIOR: only partly inspected. Ground floor shop has 4-compartment ceiling with moulded beams, and a flat 4-centred arch through the rear wall. C20 stair to first floor, and stone newel reported for upper floor. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).





Listing NGR: ST5502445800

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958 - Page References: 328

National Grid Reference: ST 55025 45798

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 11:44:39.