List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1383015

Location

13, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483433

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLS

ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/152 (North side) 12/11/53 No.13 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (North side) Nos.3-25 (Odd))

GV II*

Shop with house over. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified probably in C19 and early C20. Rendered and colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, brick chimney stack. PLAN: L-plan with stairs at front angle of rear wing. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, 2 bays. Ground floor has projecting late C19/early C20 shop front having stone stallrisers, with plain display windows, slim panelled pilasters and slim fascia with cornice on large console brackets, lead flat roof, 5-panel door to left, with double fanlight, and another part-glazed door in shallow angled recess in centre of shop front. First and second floors have 12-pane sash windows with exposed boxes at both levels. C20 dentilled eaves course on close-spaced brackets, with gutter lining through with adjoining parapets, rainwater stackhead and downpipe to right. Small flat-roofed dormer set low on right hand side, stack on raised coped verge to the right. INTERIOR: partly inspected: ground-floor front has 4 bays of former 6-compartment ceiling with moulded beams, and the shop has several important antique items built in, including c1810 gesso, wood and marble fire surround, and C18 carved joinery enclosing a steel joist. C20 staircase to first floor, with a 2-compartment ceiling. In the rear wall is a late C18 twelve-pane sash cut into an earlier flat arched opening with double wave mould surround, and a 4-centred chamfered stone doorways to ground and first floors. The floor has old random-width elm boards. Stone newel stair to rear, adjacent to probable former position of C15 garderobe. The roof frame reputed to have been renewed in 1950s. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).





Listing NGR: ST5501845797

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958 - Page References: 328

National Grid Reference: ST 55020 45796

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 12:58:59.