List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARCLAYS BANK

List entry Number: 1383011

Location

BARCLAYS BANK, 9, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483429

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLS

ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/148 (North side) 13/09/72 No.9 Barclays Bank (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (North side) Nos.3-25 (Odd))

GV II*

Includes: No.4A CATHEDRAL GREEN. House with shop, now bank. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified early C19 and C20. The property extends through as No.4A, Cathedral Green. Rendered with false ashlar lining, and colourwashed; Welsh slate roof behind parapet, brick chimney stack. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, single wide bay. Ground floor has projecting mid C20 shop front in 3 bays, with slate plinth, ashlar sides, the units divided by fluted posts, to left and centre bays are 12-pane sash windows, and in right bay a pair of 3-flush-panel doors with 3-pane fanlight, set under a deep fascia and felted flat roof. Upper floors have been modified, to first floor a wide bow window with three 12-pane sash windows divided by pilasters, with triglyph frieze and lead flat roof, second floor has a 9-pane sash window in plain opening. The parapet steps up from No.7 (qv), and is recessed in the centre. Traces of the original medieval string course under rendering. Behind parapet, on left hand side, is a small flat-roofed dormer; stack to right, on raised coped verge. Projecting sign on the left, at ground floor level. Elevation to Cathedral Green (No.4A) rebuilt mid C20 with rendered wall, pantiled roof, 12-pane sashes and panelled doors. INTERIOR: ground floor front has C20 ceiling, and 4-centred arch through the mediaeval wall. C20 staircase. First floor front has one bay of early ceiling, second floor has exposed roof, with arch-braced collar trusses, chamfered wind-braces and 2 purlins; the central truss has an added iron tie. The rear section of the roof virtually rebuilt, with some elements of trusses preserved. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned urban group. No.4A Cathedral Green was listed on 130972. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).





Listing NGR: ST5500545797

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958 - Page References: 328

National Grid Reference: ST 55006 45796

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 07:48:45.