List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1383008

Location

5, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483426

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLS

ST5445 MARKET PLACE 662-1/7/145 (North side) 12/11/53 No.5 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (North side) Nos.3-25 (Odd))

GV II*

House with shop, now offices. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified C19. Rendered and colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, and brick chimney stack. PLAN: property extends back to become No.5, Cathedral Green at the N end. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, single wide bay. Ground floor has projecting shop front of late C19 style, having painted panelled ashlar stall riser, 12-large-pane display window flanked by slim fluted pilasters, under slim fascia with shop blind, 6-panel door to left with plain rectangular fanlight, all under a felted flat roof. Upper floors have a wide shallow-angled bay window to full height of parapet, incorporating sash windows with exposed boxes of 8+16+8 panes to first floor and 9+15+9 panes to second floor, cornice mouldings over each window. Traces of the original medieval string course under the rendering at second floor level. Behind parapet a small flat-roofed dormer and a second, slightly higher, to the right, with a louvred window; small stack to the right, on raised coped verge. The N elevation, to Cathedral Green, is in rubble, with double Roman tile steep pitched roof, set with coped gable to the Green. 3 storeys and attic; a small square light in the gable above a large 4-pane sash, but with evidence for a former wide casement. At first floor are two 4-pane sash to concrete lintels, and at ground floor a 4-panel door under plain transom-light and in a Tuscan pilaster surround, and a 2-light casement. The right eaves has a brick stack on a coped gablet. INTERIOR: ground floor has C20 partitions, but 4 bays of ceiling with moulded beams survive. Stone newel staircase to first floor, with 2-bay ceilings with moulded beams to front, and C19 fireplace. Second floor has suspended ceiling below the mediaeval roof structure, doors of late C18, and a large 18-pane sash with thick glazing bars to the stairwell. Part of an outstanding late medieval planned group. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).









Listing NGR: ST5499745785

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958 - Page References: 328

National Grid Reference: ST 54999 45783

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 02:36:05.