List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1382951

Location

6, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483354

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLS

ST5445 HIGH STREET 662-1/7/82 (North side) 12/11/53 No.6 (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (North side) Nos.6 AND 8 King Charles Bar)

GV II*

House, with shop. C16, some work dated 1673, front mid C20. Rubble, painted brickwork front, hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapet, but rear ranges with asbestos-cement slate. PLAN: originally seems to have been a double-depth plan house with central transverse staircase, to which was added a third range across the rear; all 3 ranges have gabled ends to ridges parallel with High Street, and part of the property may have been absorbed later in No.4 (qv) adjoining. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement, 3 bays. Late C20 shop front across ground floor, mostly deeply recessed, all in hardwood. Above, two 3-light transomd casement windows to first-floor, and three 2-light casements to second floor, all with rectangular leaded panes and set under brick soldier arches, dentilled brick cornice and stepped parapet: the facade detail continues across No.8 (qv). The rear wall has, at first floor, four C17 wood casements; two of these are 2-light, with mullion and transom, and 2 are 3-light, with central opening unit flanked by horizontal bars. At first floor level in the E gables is a long shallow 6-light casement with horizontal bars. INTERIOR: the ground floor has been opened up by removal of partitions. The shop has cased ceiling beams, and in centre, through from ground to second floor, a very fine wide early C17 dog-leg staircase, with strapwork-panelled and capped newels, deep handrails and elaborate scrolled and carved balustrade panels, turned balusters (some modern) to outer balustrades. In rear wall of the mid range is a wide 3-centre chamfered arched fireplace, with ornamental brick and tile fireback dated "E.G. August 6 1673". In the rear range, to the left, is an early C17 newel staircase, and traces of timber-framing in the rear wall. In the E party wall are two recesses revealing parts of blocked arches of uncertain date, and a wide 6-light casement in deep reveals, set high. At first floor the main stair landing has a fine 2-panel C17 door with cambered head on scrolls, in a C16 moulded frame; opposite this, on 3 steps, is a 2-panel fielded door in ovolo-mould frame, and there is a 12-pane sash to the W. The front room has a cornice moulding, and the middle room an early 4-light casement with horizontal bars, and a very large square beam. The rear room is in 4 bays with very broad ceiling beams, that to the middle bay with mortices on each side; the rear wall has 4 windows, all of the C17, in 2 patterns, and there is a C16 stone fireplace with square opening to a moulded stopped surround in the E wall. This room has an early moulded skirting. In the SW corner is an entrance to the newel stair. At second-floor level are two borrowed lights in the partitions to the staircase, unglazed, with fine turned balusters. Some large roof principals are visible above the stair. The rear range has some early floor-boards, but a C20 roof structure. The middle range retains 4 bays of collar trusses, the collars removed, with 2 purlins; this roof is in 2 sections of differing date, with a central partition, and the purlins in the E section are heavier than the others. The cellar was not accessible. The property, which was extended to the N soon after completion of the front ranges, was clearly a town house to a merchant of some wealth and retains some fine features especially of the C17. Its quality is belied by the bland C20 frontage.





Listing NGR: ST5494845763

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 54948 45763

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 09:31:59.