List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1382736

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, VILLAGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityDorsington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483121

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DORSINGTON

SP14NW VILLAGE STREET 1931-1/5/41 (East side) 05/04/67 Church of St Peter

GV II*

Church. 1754-8, probably on earlier foundations, with c1870 restorations and chancel. Brick laid to Flemish bond on coursed blue lias rubble plinth, with ashlar dressings; steeply pitched renewed graduated stone slate roofs. PLAN: 2-bay nave, small square chancel and west tower. EXTERIOR: flush quoins and coped gables. Chancel has coped gable with cross, east window with Y tracery, single-chamfered light to north and 2-light straight-headed south window. Nave has modillioned brick cornice; 2 windows of 2 single-chamfered trefoil-headed lights, probably 1870s. 3-stage tower has 2 string courses and plain stone-coped brick parapet with plain stone pinnacles; west entrance has plain moulded ashlar arch to plank door; top stage has blind segmental-headed windows with inset lights. INTERIOR: 4-bay roof has king post trusses with braces and iron straps; double-chamfered chancel arch with corbels, chancel roof has stop-chamfered members and boarding. FITTINGS: mostly 1870s, chancel has enriched panelling and altar rail on arched supports, plain pews with blind tracery to ends; pulpit, possibly reconstructed, has early C17 enriched round-arched panels and late C17 foliate panels, top cornice with egg-and-dart; prayer desk has similar cornice and linen-fold panels; octagonal Perpendicular font is plain with rich string course and cornice on mid C17 base with faceted panels, some C17 graffiti; painted 1870s charity panel. STAINED GLASS: some C19 and C20 glass; good C19 east window. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 286).



Listing NGR: SP1325449708

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 286

National Grid Reference: SP 13254 49708

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 09:16:19.