List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BILLESLEY MANOR HOTEL

List entry Number: 1382696

Location

BILLESLEY MANOR HOTEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityBillesley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483081

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BILLESLEY

SP15NW Billesley Manor Hotel 1931-1/1/1 06/02/52 (Formerly Listed as: Billesley Manor)

GV II*

Manor house, now hotel. c1610-20 with C18 extension to west, altered in C19, and 1906-13 addition to rear wing by Detmar Blow. Coursed squared blue lias with sandstone ashlar dressings; steeply pitched renewed tile roof with brick or stone ridge and internal stacks, mostly with brick diagonally set shafts. L-plan. EXTERIOR: south, garden, front of 2 storeys plus attic; 7-window range. End bays and entrance bay to right of centre project under coped gables with kneelers and finials. Ovolo-moulded plinth and dripcourse over ground floor. Entrance bay has round-headed entrance arch with foliate spandrels, Doric columns and Tuscan entablature; inner Tudor-arched entrance with 3-light overlight, side lights and paired studded doors, panelled side benches. Double-chamfered mullioned-and-transomed windows with leaded glazing, moulded sills to first and second floors; those to ground floor of 6 lights with 1:6:1-light bay window to each end; first floor windows of 4 lights, but porch has 3-light windows, window to right end is cross-mullioned with eared architrave; attic has windows to gables and gabled dormer to left of centre: 3-light windows to left, 2-light windows to right, the end one in architrave. Right return has gabled left end, catslide re-entrant bay and symmetrical 5-window range with lower service range to right end. Round-headed entrance has rusticated jambs and pilasters to moulded arch with key blocks; lantern and 2-fielded-panel door. Windows as to front, of 3, 4, or 5 lights; 3-light gable window and 3 gabled dormers. Rear has 2 lateral stacks and 2-storey gabled wing with 4-light single-chamfered mullioned window and C19 brick wing with cross-casement; first floor has wooden mullioned and transomed windows of 3 and 4 lights; adjacent wing has similar return windows and 2-storey addition with 3-storey C20 wing behind. Late C20 wing in C17 style to west end. INTERIOR: wing has room with exposed beams, ovolo-moulded fireplace and timber screen to south end with elliptical-headed doorway and flanking panels, fluted pilasters, triglyph frieze to entablature and 3 pierced pediments, 15-panel door. Full-height hall to south has staircase and gallery to 2 sides mostly C20 reconstruction; rich C17 panelling with strapwork and fluted pilasters, Tudor-arched fireplace and enriched overmantel, doors with rich C17 locks of German or French workmanship; 6-light window, now to passage, to west; archway with continuous moulding to south leads to former screens passage to south porch. South-east room, formerly 2 rooms, has C17 panelling, possibly removed from first floor, and 2 Tudor-arched fireplaces; to west of passage a similar room, with central pier and large fireplace, doorcases with enriched entablatures; 2 rooms to west end have C18 details: entablatures and fireplaces with architraves, cornices and swags, cherubs etc; winding stair to west end. First floor has 2 richly panelled rooms with fireplaces, that to east end with deep window openings and enriched fireplace and overmantel with paired pilasters, reputed priest hide to chimney breast; room to west has panelling with enriched top panels and fireplace in partitioned-off corridor. A good example of a C17 manor house retaining many internal features of interest and with sympathetic early C20 additions. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 93; Victoria County History: Warwickshire: Styles P: London: 1945-: 58-61).







Listing NGR: SP1463456780

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Styles, P - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire - Date: 1945
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 93

National Grid Reference: SP 14634 56780

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 12:04:21.