List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1382684

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityWhitchurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Aug-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Apr-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483068

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITCHURCH

SP24NW Church of St Mary 1912-1/6/175 02/08/72 (Formerly Listed as: ALDERMINSTER Church of St Mary)

II*

Church. Late C11 nave with early C12 eastern half; late C12 chancel, lengthened in early C13 and remodelled c1500. C17 bellcote, repairs and shortening of nave; C18 and C19 restorations. MATERIALS: rubble, including some late C11 herringbone to nave western half, and coursed squared stone; ashlar dressings; slate roofs and shingled bellcote. Coped gables. EXTERIOR: chancel has offset plinth; c1500 5-light east window with 2 king mullions between 2 shallow buttresses; 3 shields to gable. North side has C12 round-headed light altered to lancet in C13, and 2:1:2-light straight-headed c1500 window to east with part of blocked entrance below. South side has 2 similar windows, one partly raised over C13 priest's entrance; traces of blocked windows. Nave north side has rubble and ashlar, offset buttress, eaves corbels and C12 round-headed light to east half, some herringbone masonry to west half. South side of nave is similar, of ashlar, and has probably C18 straight-headed window with 3 elliptical-headed lights to east, some contemporary ashlar and buttress; west half has late C13 window and re-set C12 round-headed entrance of single order, C17 ashlar above incorporates relief of Paschal Lamb with worn painted sundial to left dated 1646. C17 west wall including straight-headed window of 3 elliptical-headed lights, small shuttered light above and timber-framed square bellcote with shingling to walls and pyramid roof; 3-light louvred bell openings with enriched heads. INTERIOR: chancel has C19 waggon roof, north and south walls slope outwards; wide hollow-chamfered reveals of east window have hacked-off image plinths on octagonal shafts and mutilated canopies; north side has C15 tomb recess, jambs to 2 removed C12 windows and jambs of blocked opening; south side has blocked C12 window and signs of another, rectangular recess with piscina bowl to left; east end has shallow recess rebated for door to right. Chancel arch has C12 responds with paired shafts and C13 triple-stop-chamfered arch. Nave has C17 roof trusses with queen struts to collars, and earlier arch-braced timber posts supporting bellcote; re-set panel of Anglo-Danish interlace to west wall. FITTINGS: chancel has enriched panelling to east wall with cornice and cresting, recess to right has open-work door; 2 housel benches, one C17 and one dated 1923. Nave has pulpit with early C17 panels to 3 sides; early C17 painted Royal Arms in nowy-headed frame, altered c1714; C18 plain octagonal font; screened-in vestry to north-west angle and screen by entrance. STAINED GLASS: C15 chancel side windows have late C15 glass, sacred monograms, armorial bearings and flowers in tracery, with decorative C19 quarries below; C19 glass in tracery of east window, and figure to central light; C19 figure in north wall west window; nave west window has 1989 panel. MONUMENTS: William Smyth, rector, d.1442: chest tomb to north side of chancel has white marble slab with moulded edge and incised with cross, chalice and book; black-letter inscription to border; later graffiti including outline of foot and R W 1759. 2 floor slabs to Lucy Ann and Hester, d.1681 and 1686, wives of Thomas Mariett. Floor slab to members of Richard Marriett's family, d.1701, 1702, 1704. Sculpture: re-set stone to right of west window has Anglo-Danish interlace panel to one end. The church stands on the site of a medieval village deserted by the mid C16; only a barn and cottage dated 1826 stand near. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 471-2; Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 211-3; St Mary the Virgin, Whitchurch (4-page leaflet)).





Listing NGR: SP2265448622

Selected Sources

Books and journals
St Mary the Virgin, Whitchurch
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 471-72
Styles, P, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire, (1945), 211-13

National Grid Reference: SP 22654 48622

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:06:08.