List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE

List entry Number: 1382580

Location

FRIENDS' MEETING HOUSE, HALFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityEttington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Apr-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482964

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ETTINGTON

SP24NE HALFORD ROAD 1912-1/7/70 (West side) 06/02/52 Friends' Meeting House (Formerly Listed as: ROAD TO MORETON-IN-MARSH Friend's Meeting House)

II*

Quaker meeting house. 1684-9 with minor alterations of 1894 and c1980 addition. Coursed limestone rubble with flush ironstone quoins and ashlar dressings; steeply pitched graduated slate roof with coped gables. Small rectangular structure. EXTERIOR: south-west front has 2 windows and entrance under continuous timber lintel; entrance to right end has 1976 plank door, replacing original now preserved inside, and heavy door-frame; 3-light windows with heavy pegged frames and leaded glazing; opening lights with wrought-iron window fasteners. 3-light recessed-chamfered-mullioned window to right return, which has alternate narrow rubble courses. INTERIOR: flag floors and C19 wall benches and earlier side benches; 2 original high-backed benches to one end, the higher with enriched bench ends; lower parts of 2 trusses with low collars visible below plaster ceiling. Left return has projecting late C20 breeze-block addition with hipped slate roof with gablet and wide eaves over oriel and recessed porch to right. A good example of a very early meeting house. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 291; An Inventory of Non-con Chapels and Mtg Houses in Cent England: Herefs, Warks and Worcs (extracted from above): 1986-: 233-4).





Listing NGR: SP2676948702

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 233-234
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SP 26769 48702

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 07:31:29.