List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLIFFORD MANOR

List entry Number: 1382563

Location

CLIFFORD MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityClifford Chambers and Milcote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Apr-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482947

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP15SE 1912-1/1/53

CLIFFORD CHAMBERS Clifford Manor

(Formerly Listed as: CLIFFORD CHAMBERS Manor House)

06/02/52

GV II*

Manor house. c1700, probably on site of manorial court house with alterations after fire, 1919-21, by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Brick with ashlar dressings; hipped graduated stone slate roof with several brick stacks. H-plan with long rear wing. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 9-bay range: 2:5:2 bays. Central block flanked by advanced wings with central entrance bay breaking forward under pediment. Ashlar plinth and quoins and plat band over ground floor; top modillioned timber cornice. Entrance has bolection-moulded architrave and small-paned overlight to small-paned half-glazed door; niche above has shell vault and pediment containing armorial bearing with mantling. Flanking windows have rubbed brick flat arches with keys over 9/9 sashes with thick glazing bars in flush wood frames. 4 oeil-de-boeuf windows to 1st floor. Wings have 2 sashes to each floor, 9/9 sashes to ground floor, 6/6 sashes to 1st floor. Right return has window to left of, and 3 windows to right of, a lateral stack with armorial plaque and early C20 2-storey bay window with flat roof over paired sashes; 18-pane sashes to ground floor and 12-pane sashes to 1st floor (horned to bay). Left return, including long wing mostly by Lutyens, has 2 single-storey porches with pavilion roofs and 4-fielded-panel doors; windows mostly with 12-pane horned sashes, and 2 taller windows to left end with 6/9 sashes; one hipped dormer with 2-light leaded glazing; 2 cross-axial stacks; right end has lateral stack with some dressed stone and bell under lean-to canopy to right, and 2-storey hipped bay with 8:12:8-pane horned sashes. End of wing has tripartite sash and hipped dormer, originally joined a medieval rear wing, rebuilt by Lutyens but demolished c1946 and c1960. Rear elevation, mostly by Lutyens, has loggia between short and long wings, that to left as to front, with worn sundial; loggia has Doric column supporting timber bressumer, 2 windows with 18-pane horned sashes flank ceramic plaque, 12-pane horned sashes to 1st floor; lean-to projection to left and stair turret to right forming base of short plain tower and with 9-pane sashes. Lateral stack and stack to front of ridge. Long wing has entrance with original battened and studded door in pegged frame, armorial plaque over, windows mostly with 12-pane horned sashes, and two 6/9 sashes to right end; 2 hipped dormers. INTERIOR: full-height hall has early C18 bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail, narrow upper panels and entablature, C20 Tudor-arched ashlar fireplace with flanking Doric pilasters with triglyphs and enriched cornice and eared and shouldered architrave to overmantel; architraves to 2-panel doors, one with frieze and cornice; upper level has oeil-de-boeuf windows lighting corridor to rear and end openings with twisted balustrades; radiator screens with twisted balusters. Closed-well stair with dado panelling to rear. Drawing room to right has fielded panelling with dado and dentiled cornice; late C18 marble fireplace with detached Ionic columns with yellow shafts and Regency grate; room to rear has fielded panelling with dado and cornice; fireplace with Ionic pilasters and overmantel with C16 elements. Dining room to left end has C17 panelling with moulding to 3 sides and top frieze panels; early C20 plaster ceiling with moulded border; fireplace has Tudor arch and linenfold to overmantel, probably C20; 8-panel door with spool latch. 1st floor room to right end has C17 fireplace with rich carving of herms, winged beasts and birds flanking armorial bearing, late C19 tiles and fireback dated 1697; room to rear has Regency fireplace and grate. Ground floor has original early C20 panelled lavatory, and basin with marble and brick surround; 1st floor has early C20 panelled bathroom. Long wing has large stone fireplace to former kitchen and some doors with moulded muntins. Although much restored, the house retains many original c1700 features and interesting work by Lutyens. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 234; Bagenal PH: Clifford Chambers Manor House: 1914-; Country Life: Clifford Chambers Manor: London: 1928-).





Listing NGR: SP1994851962

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 19948 51962

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 04:42:04.