List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1382560

Location

CHURCH OF ST HELEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityClifford Chambers and Milcote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482944

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLIFFORD CHAMBERS

SP1952 Church of St Helen 1912-1/10/50 05/04/67

GV II*

Church. Mid C12 nave with later windows and remains of C13 north transeptal chapel; late C14 west tower with C15 features; extensively restored c1886 by J Cotton of Birmingham, C12 chancel rebuilt and lengthened, vestry and south porch built, and roofs replaced. MATERIALS: rubble with ashlar dressings, the chancel of snecked stone; tile roofs, the chancel with cresting. EXTERIOR: chancel has coped gable with cross and offset diagonal buttresses; plinth to east end; 4-light east window with Perpendicular tracery; south side has low 2-light window with hood and 2 C19 straight-headed windows, 2-light and single-light, with labelmoulds and cusped lights flanking gabled buttress with cusped panel, foliate stops, crockets and fleuron; gargoyle with downspout to north and south. Vestry has 2 gables and lateral buttresses; valley gargoyle between two 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery; east entrance and re-set lancet to west with low transom, part of coped gable to chancel west has end stack. Nave has plastered plinth and offset buttresses and coped gables to west end; north side has C20 block to west of centre covering blocked C12 round-headed entrance to west of offset buttress; small re-set light with splayed reveals to east end, 4-light straight-headed window with ogee-headed lights and label, and similar single light to west end; south side similar, timber-framed gabled porch on high stone plinth with C12 round-headed inner entrance shafts with scallop capitals and roll moulding and roundels to worn arch, off-centre scratch dial to tympanum; door has strap hinges, studs and battens forming 4 panels with shouldered heads, battens, rails and large lock to rear; 2-light window to west end has similar details to those to north but with head stops, 4-light straight-headed window to east end has cusped lights and labelmould, flanking C19 buttresses similar to that to chancel south side, but that to east raised above eaves; gargoyle with downspout. West tower of 2 stages has offset diagonal buttresses flanking 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery, C18 wall tablet to south, and 3-face clock and string course above; upper stage has 2-light louvred bell openings with hoods over blind tracery, cornice with gargoyles and crenellated parapet with continuous moulding and restored pinnacles; pyramidal roof with weathercock. INTERIOR: 1880s roofs and chancel arch; chancel has cornice with Apostles to corbels supporting roof with moulded members; segmental-pointed arch to organ loft has angle corbels to hood, vestry door has 3-centred head, continuous moulding and ogee hood, south-east window has sedile recess below. Nave has waggon roof part of arch to removed north-east chapel, reset window with one shaft beneath and part of jamb to left; 4-centred tower arch and exposed masonry to west wall. FITTINGS: chancel has C12 pillar piscina with plain flared bowl; mid to late C17 altar rail on turned balusters; simple 1930s stalls with linenfold panels. Nave has early C17 pulpit to north of chancel arch, with enriched round-headed panels and acanthus frieze; heptagonal font, possibly C12 with C15 re-cutting on C19 base, flat lid with brass finial; 3 charity boards dated 1924 and an earlier board. MEMORIALS: chancel has large alabaster and marble wall memorial to north wall to Sir Henry Rainsford, d.1622, and Anne his wife: recess with round-arched centre has flanking Composite columns and entablature with crest and finials, 2 kneeling figures facing each other over a prayer desk, apron with inscription panels and panel with infant and 2 males; Hercules Rainford, d.1583, and Elizabeth his wife: floor slab, now set on north wall, has brass inscription panel and figures, similar memorial to Elizabeth Rainsford, d.1601. STAINED GLASS: some fragments of medieval glass to vestry window, and good c1900 glass to chancel east window and small light to nave north side. Although much restored and rebuilt, the church retains features of interest. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 233-4; Victoria County Histories: Victoria History of the County of Gloucestershire: 1965-: 214 FF).





Listing NGR: SP1982652118

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1965), 214 ff
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SP 19826 52118

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 05:33:01.