List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND THE HOLY CROSS

List entry Number: 1382532

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND THE HOLY CROSS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityAlderminster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482916

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDERMINSTER

SP24NW Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross 1912-1/6/21 05/04/67

GV II*

Church. C12 nave and c1200 crossing and transepts, early C13 tower and chancel; extensively restored by F Preedy in 1884. MATERIALS: coursed lias limestone rubble, uncoursed rubble to tower, with ashlar dressings and quoins; steeply pitched old tile roof. PLAN: 4-bay nave, transepts with central tower; 3-bay chancel. EXTERIOR: chancel has rebuilt east wall with 3 lancets on original moulded sill course. North side has restored lancets; south side similar, but with C14 straight-headed window and dial stone to one lancet. Tower has lancets, and C19 quatrefoil openings to ringing chamber; C15 parapet; projecting C19 south-east stair turret. North transept has C19 north window on original string course, and C19 east window; C12 round-headed west light. South transept has C19 south lancets, C13 west lancet and partly original east lancet. Nave north side has mid C12 round-headed entrance of one order, tympanum inset with original wheel cross, in C19 gabled porch; early C12 light to east, C14 2-light window and two C19 lancets. South side has three C19 windows and entrance renewed in C19; small light with original head. INTERIOR: chancel has mid C13 piscina and blocked tower entrance to south side; 2 aumbries, one original, one much restored, to north side; late C19 roofs. FITTINGS: c1884 font by Preedy has relief scenes and figures of evangelists, c1661 font in porch; late C19 furnishings. MONUMENTS: some C17 and C18 wall tablets, also one to James Kettle, d.1806, a Non-conformist minister. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 62; Victoria County Histories: Victoria History of the County of Worcestershire: 1971-: 10-12).



Listing NGR: SP2300048630

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Worcestershire, (1971), 10-12
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SP 23000 48630

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 07:30:14.