List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER CHAPEL AT WOOTTON HALL

List entry Number: 1382250

Location

FORMER CHAPEL AT WOOTTON HALL, STRATFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityWootton Wawen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Oct-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482616

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOTTON WAWEN

SP16SE STRATFORD ROAD 1457-1/5/177 (North side) 05/04/67 Former Chapel at Wootton Hall (Formerly Listed as: WOOTTEN WAWEN STRATFORD ROAD, Wootten Wawen Chapel at Wootten Hall)

GV II*

Roman Catholic chapel, converted to a ballroom c1900, now disused. 1813 with later alterations including range early C20 adjoining chapel and Hall (qv) to west; c1970s outshut. Brownish-red brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Greek Revival with Mannerist elements. Continuous nave and apsidal chancel, 4-window range, north vestry. EXTERIOR: entrance to west end in early-C20 porch with part-glazed, 4-panel double doors and overlight with radial glazing. Porch partly obscures projecting entrance facade, reminiscent of Italian Mannerist church facades, which has Tuscan pilasters with frieze, architrave and cornice, blocking course, curvilinear gable end with central Diocletian recess, copings. Chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses between windows and first-stage band. Behind this are giant end pilasters with frieze, cornice and unelaborated pediment to gable end with weather-vane and cross at apex. Nave and chancel: chamfered plinth, pilaster buttresses between windows with paired pilasters to ends of nave; first-stage band, frieze and roll-moulded cornice. Nave has 4 round-arched window openings, one now blocked and interrupted by garage doors to north side, otherwise with multi-pane windows with radial glazing to head and margin lights, the margins have stained glass. Chancel has similar window to east end and Diocletian windows to upper stage. Windows have sills and rubbed brick arches. Curved roof to apse, otherwise gabled roof. Octagonal cupola to chancel. INTERIOR: Doric pilasters with frieze, cornice with triglyphs and metopes, 2 fluted Doric columns to chancel with elliptical arch. Entrances to apse have 6-panel doors, curved on plan in moulded architraves with frieze and cornice on consoles. Segmental-vaulted ceiling. To west end a gallery which gives access to Wootton Hall (qv). (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 482).



Listing NGR: SP1551963378

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 482

National Grid Reference: SP 15519 63378

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 07:01:25.