List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WOOTTON HALL

List entry Number: 1382249

Location

WOOTTON HALL, STRATFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityWootton Wawen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482615

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOTTON WAWEN

SP16SE STRATFORD ROAD 1457-1/5/176 (North side) 06/02/52 Wootton Hall

GV II*

Country house, now flats. `FCA 1687' to 2 front ornamental lead rainwater heads, incorporating late C16 house (to west part) and with later additions and alterations including those to west facade believed to be late C18, though probably c1904; roof destroyed in fire of 1941 and renewed c1970s and with some late C20 additions. For Francis, 2nd Lord Carrington and Lady Anne Herbert, his second wife; with alterations c1906 for Mr Hughes and late C16 building for Francis Smith. MATERIALS: coursed Wilmscote stone with ashlar dressings and renewed slate roof. PLAN: L-shaped on plan, altered internally. EXTERIOR: garden facade: 2 storeys with basement and attic dormers, 9 bays arranged 3:3:3, of which the centre breaks forward and is pedimented. Quoins to angles. Roll-moulded plinth continues around house. Tall 6/6 sashes throughout in tooled, eared architraves with shoulders, central keystones and moulded sills, those to ground floor also have pulvinated friezes and alternate triangular and segmental pediments, those to first floor have friezes. Central entrance: 4 steps to double part-glazed doors with overlight with margin lights in fielded panel reveals and with tooled, eared architrave with central acanthus corbel brackets surmounted by wide segmental pediment. Basement: chamfered, segmental-arched openings with keystones, those to right have plank shutters, those to left are blocked. Continuous frieze, architrave has egg-and-dart moulding, and acanthus modillion cornice; moulding continues around pediment. Cornice continues around house and is partly renewed. Pediment with coat of arms. 4 C20 attic gables with 3/6 sashes. C20 hipped roof with central and rear stacks. Left return: 3 storeys with basement and attic dormers, 9 bays arranged 4:1:4, the centre bay breaks forward and is ashlar. Central entrance: 2 roll-edged steps to C20 glazed door in double chamfered surround between 2 fixed-light windows. First and second floors: central giant Venetian window in tooled surround, the centre a 15-pane stained glass window with margin lights, otherwise panels of stained glass. Blind openings above outer lights. Ground and first floors have 6/6 sashes, many with thick glazing bars, second floor has mainly 6/3 sashes with thick glazing bars, with one 9-pane fixed light. All windows in tooled, eared surrounds with shoulders, moulded sills, frieze interrupted by central keystones, those to ground and first floors have moulded cornices. Right return: 2 storeys with attic dormers, 3 first-floor windows. Flight of 5 steps (4 are roll-moulded) with solid ashlar balustrade to right end entrance: C20 glazed double door with overlight in tooled, eared and shouldered surround with pulvinated frieze interrupted by central keystone, and pediment. 9/9 sashes all in tooled, eared architraves with shoulders, frieze interrupted by central keystone; moulded sills. First-floor band. Plain frieze. One attic dormer as before. To rear return: 2 storeys with basement and attic dormers, full-height staircase window and 4 first-floor windows. Stained-glass staircase window has tooled, eared architrave with shoulders, frieze, central keystone and moulded sill. Otherwise 9/9 sashes with similar architraves, first-floor band. Continuous band above windows. Basement windows blocked, attics as before. INTERIOR: late C17 bolection-moulded panelling to south-west room. Remains of deep coving with ornamentation to south-east room, now partitioned. Bolection-moulded fireplace to south room. Front open-well staircase inserted 1904 by Mr Brettell, builder, of Wootton Wawen for Mr Hughes. Oak back dog-leg staircase dates from c1687 and has rod-on-vase balusters. Rear dining room has 2 bolection-moulded fireplaces and remains of late C17 bolection-moulded panelling and wainscote, overdoor frames are elaborated with acanthus, many panels replaced in early C20; deep coving; 6-panel doors, shutters. First floor: south-west room has austere grey and white marble Neo-Classical fireplace, ogee-arched moulding on fluted Ionic pilasters for bed alcove, now blocked in, panelling. West wing: the rooms are divided into suites, now slightly rearranged. Late C16 panelling and wainscoting to west part of house; deep cornices, bolection-moulded fireplaces, one with brass inset c1900 with wren and peacock. 3-panel doors with HL-hinges. Reputed to have had 2 priest's rooms communicating by a staircase built in the thickness of the wall which is visible from first-floor level, but reputedly survives from cellar to attic. Cellars have through passage and 2 tunnels. Maria Fitzherbert, morganatic wife of George IV lived here. HISTORY: the house was in the ownership of Catholic recusant families, Carrington, Holford and Smythe. It is thought to have been a centre for Catholic worship during the recusancy, with a chapel in the dining room; the west wing may have been used as accommodation for priests. All the listed items on the Wootton Hall Estate (Wootton Park) form a group. Wootton Hall also form a group with Church of St Peter (qv). (Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Interest: Warwickshire: 1563; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 482; Holme C: Gardens of England in the Midland and Eastern Counties: 1908-: 130-131; Cooper W: Wootton Wawen, its history and records: Leeds: 1936-; Hodgetts M: Midlands Catholic Buildings: Birmingham: 1990-: 61).







Listing NGR: SP1549663359

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Holme, C - Title: Gardens of England in the Midland and Eastern Counties - Date: 1908 - Page References: 130-131
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Hodgetts, M - Title: Midlands Catholic Buildings - Date: 1990 - Page References: 61
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Cooper, W - Title: Wootton Wawen its History and Records - Date: 1936
  4. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 42 Warwickshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 482

National Grid Reference: SP 15496 63359

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 06:18:46.