List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1382195

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityWolverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482561

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERTON

SP26SW MAIN STREET 1457-1/6/125 (West side (off)) 05/04/67 Church of St Mary the Virgin

II*

Church. Origins of 1208, with later additions and alterations including windows and priest's doorway probably late C14, C16 sanctuary ring and iron-work, with C19 porch, vestry, bell turret and restorations, including rebuilding of east end. MATERIALS: coursed lias stone rubble with ashlar east end, timber porch and bell turret, and plain-tile roof. STYLE: Early English and Decorated. PLAN: 3-bay nave with south porch, lower 2-bay chancel with north vestry. EXTERIOR: entrance: glazed and gabled south porch has decorative bargeboards, and traceried decoration to sides. Within is a double-chamfered, 4-centred arch and studded plank door with strap hinges, sanctuary ring and lock. Nave has chamfered plinth. South side: diagonal west buttress with off-sets; 2- and 3-light windows with trefoil-headed tracery in double-chamfered, 4-centred arches. North side: buttresses with off-sets between bays and diagonal buttress to west; westernmost window has 3 lights with Y-tracery to head in double-chamfered surround with hoodmould. North doorway to centre bay: plank door with double-chamfered pointed arch. Then a 2-light window with reticulated tracery. West end: central buttress with off-sets between 2 lancet lights in chamfered surrounds. Short bell turret with broach spire and pierced openings. Chancel: south side has double-chamfered plinth, partly renewed. Priest's entrance: plank door in double-chamfered, 4-centred arch; renewed ogee-headed lancet in chamfered surround and a 2-light window with reticulated tracery to head. North side: ogee-headed lancet; vestry has Decorated-style 2-light window. East end has 3-light window with Decorated-type tracery to head in double-chamfered surround with hoodmould. INTERIOR: oak screen, much restored, has Perpendicular tracery to upper stage. Ogeed piscina. Wagon roofs. Octagonal font on octagonal plinth has quatrefoil decoration. Marble wall tablets with festoon embellishment to: Thomas Stanton `Lord of the Mannor' d.1701; his son Thomas, d.1719; and Thomas Stanton d.1664 and his wife Elizabeth d.1703. In north nave window are many fragments of medieval stained glass, some in other windows, south window of chancel has late Morris glass. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 479).



Listing NGR: SP2062162333

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 479

National Grid Reference: SP 20621 62333

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 09:49:50.