List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1382153

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityPreston Bagot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482519

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRESTON BAGOT

SP16NE Church of All Saints 1457-1/2/86 05/04/67

GV II*

Church. C12 nave with C13 chancel and later alterations of C14 and C15, with restorations and rebuilding of 1879 by JA Chatwin including east end, vestry and porch. Coursed lias stone rubble with sandstone dressings, plain-tile roofs and shingle spire. 5-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with south porch and west bell-cote, north vestry. EXTERIOR: south side of nave: buttress with off-sets to east; entrance to second bay, timber porch on stone plinth has ornamental quatrefoil-headed open arcade and 4-centred-arched opening with foliage to spandrels. Within is a plank door in pointed, chamfered arch. Windows from west: round-arched lancet, pair of renewed trefoil-headed lancets, pair of trefoil-headed lancets with moulded mullions, trefoil-headed lancet; further blocked round-arched lancet. Chamfered eaves band with gargoyle of owl to west; raised copings and kneelers to gable end. North side of nave: round-arched entrance with a plank door in chamfered surround with imposts and hoodmould. 3 small round-arched lancets, the westernmost has renewed surrounds, then a trefoiled lancet. West end has lancet window; cross at apex. Belfry has 3 foiled openings to each side, broach spire. South side of chancel: buttress with off-sets; south side has pointed-arched priest's entrance with a plank door in chamfered surround with mass clock to right jamb. Pair of trefoil-headed lancets with chamfered mullions. Chamfered eaves with lion-head gargoyle; copings to gable and kneeler. North side of chancel: C19 vestry has chamfered plinth, pointed-arched entrance with a plank door in double-chamfered arch with roll-moulding; pair of trefoil-headed windows. Chancel north wall has similar pair of trefoil-headed windows. East end: 2 end buttresses with off-sets; 2 trefoil-headed lancets in chamfered surrounds, partly renewed. Chamfered eaves throughout. INTERIOR: windows all have deeply-splayed surrounds with double- and triple-chamfered sills. C19 round-arched, double-chamfered chancel arch on corbels with waterleaf capitals and zig-zag moulding to head with hoodmould on roll-moulded jambs. Chancel has brattished eaves. C19 tiled floor. Some Victorian stained glass. C19 roof. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 374).



Listing NGR: SP1746266062

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 374

National Grid Reference: SP 17462 66062

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:27:51.