List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1382061

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityClaverdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482426

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAVERDON

SP16SE CHURCH ROAD 1457-1/5/16 (North side) 05/04/67 Church of St Michael and All Angels

GV II*

Church. Chancel and chancel arch mainly c1350 with C16 windows, tower c1450, nave and aisles rebuilt 1876 by Ewan Christian in C14 style with C20 restorations. MATERIALS: lias limestone with timber porch and Welsh slate roofs. PLAN: 2-stage west tower, 2-bay nave with clerestory, aisles and south porch, 2-bay chancel with single-bay organ chamber to north and single-bay vestry to south. EXTERIOR: tower: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with off-sets to 3/4 height; south-east stair turret to first stage. West entrance has double plank doors in 4-centre arched surround with double-chamfered hollow moulding to head. Above, a 3-light Perpendicular window with chamfered mullions and surrounds, hoodmould. First stage moulded band. Second stage: slit window to south with continuous hoodmould; 2-light belfry windows with reticulated tracery and hollow-moulded hoodmoulds. Crenellated parapet above string course. Nave: buttresses between bays and to ends; chamfered plinth. South porch: cambered-arched opening, to front and sides are windows with reticulated-type tracery, brattished frieze, decorative bargeboards to gable end. Entrance within has double plank doors in double-chamfered pointed-arched surround with 2 orders of roll-moulding and hollow-moulding between; roll-moulded hood with curl stops. South aisle: 3-light straight-headed window, to east and west ends of aisle are 2-light pointed-arched windows. North aisle: two 2-light straight-headed windows. Clerestory, north and south alike: four 2-light windows. All windows have reticulated-type tracery to heads and quoined surrounds. Chancel: westernmost bays are occupied by organ chamber and vestry, north and south sides alike: entrance has double plank doors in Caernarven-arched, chamfered surround; pair of cusped lights in straight-headed surround; east ends have each a 2-light pointed window with reticulated-type tracery to head. Chancel second bay has 3-light mullion and transom window to each side. East end has 3-light window with reticulated-type tracery to head. Raised gables with copings. INTERIOR: nave roof on corbels; chancel has barrel-vaulted roof. Tall, narrow, double-chamfered 4-centred tower arch, to south of this a small plank door in pointed, chamfered surround to stair turret. Nave arcade has 2 double-chamfered, 4-centred arches with continuous roll-moulded hoodmould on central octagonal column and end column-corbels. Continuous moulded sill band to clerestory. Windows to nave and clerestory have deep chamfered jambs and quoins. Pointed, double-chamfered chancel arch on pair of slender C19 shafts. To east end of aisles are double-chamfered, 4-centred arches, further similar arches to first bay of chancel, the inner orders on corbels. STAINED GLASS: chancel windows have quoins. Continuous moulded sill band to east. East window glass by Kempe. FITTINGS: pulpit in C14 French style inscribed 'CLOVELLY / AUG 12TH 1879'. MONUMENTS: alabaster and stone monument to Thomas Spencer d.1630, son of Sir John Spencer of Althorp d.1586, probably Elizabethan with 2 black columns and shallow coffered arch, the surfaces covered with rustically treated foliage trails. Forms a group with all listed items in Churchyard (qv) and with Porlock View and Church View (qv). (Ross CE: Claverdon Parish Church: St Michael and All Angels).







Listing NGR: SP1983164577

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Ross, C E - Title: Claverdon Parish Church: St Michael and All Angels

National Grid Reference: SP 19831 64577

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 08:57:47.