List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1382017

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityWellesbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482382

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLESBOURNE

SP2655 CHURCH STREET, Wellesbourne Hastings 1901-1/12/197 (South West side) 05/04/67 Church of St Peter

GV II*

Church. Late C13 with late C14 tower; extensively rebuilt and enlarged, nave lengthened to east, chancel rebuilt, 1847 by JP Harrison. MATERIALS: coursed dressed limestone, narrow courses to north aisle and rubble to south aisle, with ashlar dressings; C19 tile roofs with decorative bands and cresting, slate to south aisle. PLAN: 2-bay chancel with north organ loft and vestry and south chapel; 5-bay nave with gabled north aisle and lean-to south aisle; 3-stage west tower. Off-set and diagonal buttresses; coped gables. EXTERIOR: chancel has some red sandstone incorporated in east end below 3-light window with Decorated tracery; south side has entrance with pointed arch and 2-light window with uncut hood stops; vestry has 3-light east window, lower part blind, and small double-cusped light and 2-light window to north; chapel has Y-tracery east window over re-set late C13 quatrefoil, 3 single-chamfered lancets to south. North aisle has pointed entrance to west end of north wall; four 3-light north windows with reticulated tracery and one to west end. South aisle has top cornice and parapet with roll moulding; gabled stone porch has entrance with continuous moulding and iron gates; late C14 2-light straight-headed window to left has head stops to hood mould; 3 windows to right as to north aisle; west lancet. Tower has string courses and top cornice and crenellated parapet with continuous roll moulding; 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and hood with grotesque stops, crockets and fleuron, small light to south side has large hood with crockets and fleurons, second stage has similar light to each side, 2 to south; 2-light louvred bell-openings with similar hoods, and head stops. INTERIOR: chancel has waggon roof with Y-shaped principals, carved bosses and stencilling; c1100 former chancel arch re-set to organ loft: 2 orders with cushion capitals and some cable; 1873 arch to chapel has trumeau supporting trefoil. Sanctuary has 1873 red and white marble panelling by TH Wyatt, to east with brattishing with central gablet over reredos cross in trefoil arch and flanking quatrefoils, flanking 2-light arches with mosaic panels; cusped niche to north and gabled sedilia to south. Nave has ashlared single-rafter roof with scissor braces and stencilling; high west gallery with painted panels and 2 entrances over tower arch; 5-bay arcades have shafted piers with plain capitals, the south aisle late C13 with C19 addition, the north aisle C19. FITTINGS: chancel has encaustic tiles and traceried stall fronts; nave has C19 timber pulpit and lectern with rich carving; C19 font to north aisle has tracery panels. Memorials: brass to Sir Thomas le Straunge, d.1426, knight in armour; good C18 and C19 wall tablets, and tablet in chancel to Paul Aylworth, black marble panel with architrave and armorial bearing with skull crest; C18 niche to chancel north wall with pedestal inscribed to Ann and John Denes, d.1761 and 1786. STAINED GLASS: good glass to chancel, aisles and tower; tower window by Holland of Warwick; chancel south window, 1892, by C E Kempe; some windows by Willement. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 467-8; Victoria County Histories: Styles, P: Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: 1949-: 196-7; Shell Guides: Hickman, D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 178).



Listing NGR: SP2772455596

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Author: Hickman, D - Title: Warwickshire - Date: 1979 - Journal Title: Shell Guides - Page References: 178
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Page References: 196-7
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 467-8

National Grid Reference: SP 27724 55596

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 07:43:35.