List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALTON HALL INCLUDING GAME LARDER

List entry Number: 1381986

Location

WALTON HALL INCLUDING GAME LARDER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityWellesbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Aug-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 482351

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLESBOURNE

SP25SE WALTON 1901-1/5/186 Walton Hall including game larder 02/08/72 (Formerly Listed as: WALTON Walton Hall)

GV II*

Country house. 1858-62. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. For Sir Charles Mordaunt, 10th Baronet. Limestone ashlar with flush dressings of different type; slate roofs with ashlar ridge and end stacks. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: L-plan: main range with quadrangular service range attached to north-east angle tower. Main range: 3 storeys; l0-window range including 3-window full-height projection to right end and 5-stage angle tower to left adjoining projecting 2-storey service ranges round courtyard; 6-window front range with 3-storey pavilion to right end. EXTERIOR: string courses and top modillioned cornices with arcaded parapets. Entrance has porch with cusped round arch on polished granite shafts with foliate capitals; top cornice and parapet; paired faceted-panelled doors. Ground- and first-floor windows with leaf-trail to moulded openings. 2 tall pointed cross-mullioned stair windows with rosettes to tympana to left of entrance and similar straight-headed stair window to left end. Other windows with moulded cross-casements; ground-floor right has 3 windows including central canted bay window with parapet; first floor has 3 segmental-pointed 2-light windows above entrance and 3 to right end as to ground floor; second floor has simpler windows, with 2-light stair window to left end. 5-stage tower has cross-casement windows, segmental-headed to second stage, and paired 2-light windows with tympana to top stage; corbelled parapet and pavilion roof with wrought-iron cresting. Right return has conservatory with shouldered lintels to cross-casements and some inserted doors; domical roof. Left return, behind service range, has 2-storey wing with canted end. Garden front 5-window range with gabled forward break to left, cross-wing to right end and 3-window range set back to left end. 7-bay loggia with columns with foliate capitals to cusped segmental arches, foliate corbels to arcaded balustrade. Windows mostly have original cross-casements, with some inserted C20 doors to ground floor, which has windows with shouldered lintels, and canted bay to cross-wing; first floor has windows with leaf trail to openings and shafts. 2-storey; 4-window service range adjacent to entrance front has single- and 2-light windows; 3-storey pavilion has 2 straight-headed windows with paired trefoil-headed lights to first floor, windows with cross-casements to second floor, and ground-floor projection with transomed window of 3 lights with shouldered lintels to return; parapet and pyramidal roof with pierced iron panels to lantern. North range has entrance with gabled flat porch and single-chamfered cross-mullioned windows, some of 3 lights. East range has low gable to left end and gable to right end; segmental-pointed courtyard gateway with hood and flanking offset buttresses; projecting first-floor stack to right gable; single-chamfered mullioned and cross-mullioned windows, and one C20 triangular roof dormer; clock-turret. Courtyard has single-storey south range; mostly single-chamfered mullioned windows with decorative iron glazing bars and C20 dormers; 2 re-entrant stair projections. Free-standing square structure, formerly meat and game larders, to centre, with hipped graduated slate roof with triangular dormers. South side has paired entrances with shouldered lintels up steps, cross-mullioned window to each return, and rear steps to basement entrance. INTERIOR: entrance hall has 3-bay cusped round-arched arcade on coloured marble columns with arms to capitals to 2 sides, that to stair hall has upper arcade with segmental-pointed arches; gallery to one side has arcade of segmental arches and trefoil-arcaded balustrade; floor has inlaid flower motifs; coffered timber ceiling; large richly carved fireplace has red columns and corbels with figures of fisher and hunter; brass and iron grate and 2 brass lamps to cornice; entrance has paired half-glazed doors with tracery, other doors with enriched cornices. Stair hall has similar details, the open-well cantilevered stair has string with Tudor flower and enriched iron balusters; 3-bay landing gallery. FITTINGS: each hall has brass chandelier and armorial stained glass. Other rooms retain enriched cornices and stone or marble fireplaces. Dining room has fireplace similar to hall, with figures of Summer and Winter. Ballroom comprising 3 rooms opened into one in C20 has 2 marble fireplaces and large paired doors to each end. 2 rooms to one end, formerly library and billiard room, have early C19 marble fireplaces with Classical details, the billiard room with stained-glass armorial panel. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 440; Warwickshire Local History Society Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 34-7).



Listing NGR: SP2848952358

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 440
Tyack, G C, 'Occasional Papers' in The Country Houses of Warwickshire 1800-1939, (1989), 34-7

National Grid Reference: SP 28489 52358

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 09:45:30.